Manjal Thokku

During Pongal, we buy Manjal Kothu for pooja. After Pongal, my mom used to leave that manjal kothu in river. Last year, I tried a pickle recipe with that fresh turmeric and it was a hit. So even this year I prepared a jar full of the pickle. I also had a cup of cut turmeric after the preparation. Why not prepare thokku using this? So yesterday, I tried this delicious thokku, which can be relished with curd rice. The flavour of the fresh turmeric is dominant and it was awesome. I used a lot of red chilly powder and it was so hot. I usually prefer my pickles and thokku hot so I didn't mind it. But if you want it soft, then reduce the amount of red chilly powder. This can also be mixed with rice and relished as turmeric rice.



Ingredients:
Fresh Turmeric -1cup
Red Chilly Powder-1/4cup
Till Oil-1/4cup
Mustard seeds-1tbs
Salt-3tbs
Hing-1/4tsp
Roasted Methi Powder- 1/2tsp
Lemon-2


Procedure:
1. Pulse a cup of fresh turmeric in a mixer grinder until it resembles small gratings.
2. Heat oil and add mustard. When splutters add hing and turmeric.
3. Saute the turmeric on low flame until oil separates.
4. Add salt, red chilly powder and methi powder and mix well.
5. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add juice of two lemons and mix it well.
7. When oil separates remove from flame and allow it to cool. 
8. Store in air tight jar and relish it with curd rice.

Click on the link to know how to prepare turmeric for the recipe.

Labels: , , , ,