Fresh Turmeric Pickle / Manjal Oorugai

During pongal, we use manjal kothu (fresh turmeric) for the pooja. After pooja my mom lets it in a river. We never try to prepare anything with the fresh turmeric. This year, as I have become a food blogger, I was curious. I searched the net for recipes using fresh turmeric. Most of the search result was pickles. There are various methods involved in pickle preparation, but two ingredients existed in almost all recipes. They are ginger and lime juice. I think both these ingredients suppress the heavy flavour of turmeric. So I tried my recipe for the pickle incorporating all the above said ingredients. That resulted in a very very yummy pickle. The flavour of turmeric was light and we liked it very much.
I am running a blogging marathon along with some of by friends for 15 days.Check out my Blogging Marathon buddies in action! SrivalliPriya SureshJay,  Monika,  PJPriya Vaasu,  AzeemaReva,  AyeeshaUshaVeena Soumya.






Ingredients:
Fresh Turmeric-150gm
Ginger-150gm
Lemon Juice-1/4cup
Salt-4tbs
Red chilly Powder-40gm
Till oil-1/2cup
Hing-1/4tsp


Procedure:
1. Peel skin of turmeric and ginger.
2. Cut them into small roundels.
3. Heat oil and add the turmeric and ginger.
4. Saute till cooked.
5. Add salt, red chilly powder and hing.
6. When every thing comes together add the lime juice.
7. Let it come to a boil.
8. Switch off stove and let it cool.
9. When hot it may seem to have abundant oil, but when it cools down it will reach the perfect consistency.
10. Oil, salt and chilly powder act as preservatives, so you need not refrigerate it. See to it that the pickle is fully immersed in oil.
11. Never use a wet spoon.
12. Never keep the pickle jar open for long.
13. Do not handle pickle with wet hand.


Fresh Turmeric

Labels: , ,