Idli podi is a necessary powder to stock up in the pantry. My mom used to prepare huge quantity which lasts for 2-3 months. Even though we have chutney or sambar, we never miss this delicious powder for idli and dosas. While preparing dosas, mom used to sprinkle a generous amount of podi on the dosas and drizzle oil on it. Then she would serve it crispy and it used to be a great hit among the family. Now my daughter has got a craze for this podi. She loves it with dosas, idlis and even rice. There are so many variations of this podi and I am giving the recipe which mom gave.
Channa Dhal(Kadalai Paruppu)-1/2cup
Toor Dhal(Thuvaram Paruppu)-1/2cup
Red Chilly-50gm (adjust according to your taste)
1. Dry roast all the dhals separately until brown. Be careful not to burn the dhals.
2. Dry roast the chillies until aromatic and crisp. Do this on low flame. I always roast the chillies with the stalk. This reduces the fuming of hot chillies. You can remove it when they cool.
3. Roast hing and salt and add it to the dhals.
4. Grind the red chillies first to a fine powder.
5. Then add the dhals and grind to a coarse powder. Do this in batches.
6. Mix every thing on a plate until thoroughly combined.
7. Store in jars for further use.
8. Mix some podi with sesame oil and this paste tastes great with dosas and idlis.
|Roast all the ingredients|
|Grind in batches|
|Mix well and store|