Sel Roti

For the third day of Blogging Marathon I selected a sweet crispy snack from Sikkim. This is a famous recipe of Nepal and as Sikkim is nearby, this recipe is there in Sikkim cuisine also. I saw an youtube video on making the snack. Before seeing the video I thought that Sel Roti is a kind of flat bread but after seeing the video I came to know that the snack is little hard to make. I made a small batch of the batter and tried it. The first two or three sel rotis had funny shapes but tasted great. Only the last sel roti came resembled the ones I saw in the video. It tasted like achu murukku we prepare in Tamil Nadu. I think there is some connection between North east Indian states and South Indian states as there are so many dishes similar in both cuisines. 



Recipe Source: Youtube

Ingredients:
Raw Rice-1 cup
Sugar-1/4 cup
Ghee-1/3 cup
Water-1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder-1/4 tsp
Powdered Clove-a pinch
Oil- For Deep Frying

Procedure:
1.       Wash and soak rice overnight.
2.       Strain water and take the rice in a mixer jar.
3.       Add sugar, ghee, water, cardamom powder and clove.
4.       Grind to a fine thick paste.
5.       Pour it into a measuring jar.
6.       Heat oil.
7.       Beat the batter with a spoon until fluffy.
8.       Pour the batter into hot oil in the shape of a circle.
9.       Fry until golden on both sides.
10.   Drain oil and lace on a plate.
11.   When cool, store in airtight jar.




Grind all the ingredients except oil to a smooth batter.



Pour it into a jar and beat until fluffy.


Pour batter in a round shape into hot oil. I couldn't get a nice view as I was taking snap with a hand and pouring with the other. If you are preparing it, I recommend you watch the video before you proceed.




Fry until golden.



Each sel roti had a different shape. It needs a lot of practice to get the shape right..

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#25


Labels: , , , ,