For this month's Baking Eggless group challenge, I selected a simple but delicious quick bread from Orange Blossom Water blog by Dimah. Lemon in baking gives a great flavour to the dish. If coconut is added the bread must be super delicious. I tried it with milk and apple cider vinegar as the egg substitute. The bread also uses cream cheese and sweetened coconut flakes. We don't get cream cheese at Madurai. So I searched for a recipe for a substitute for cream cheese and came across Sharmilee's recipe for cream cheese. I also used copra/ dry coconut flakes instead of sweetened coconut flakes. While the bread was in oven, my home was filled with a fantastic aroma of lemon and coconut. When I sliced it and tasted it, I was very happy. It was absolutely delicious. The cream cheese filling was so nice.
Apple Cider Vinegar-1/2tsp
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-1 3/4cup
Baking Powder-1 1/4tsp
Cream Cheese-1/3cup ( recipe for home made cream cheese given at the end)
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add 1/2cup of milk and apple cider vinegar and beat until incorporated.
- Add lemon juice, zest and remaining milk and mix well.
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add this flour mixture to the butter milk mixture and mix it gently until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add cream cheese and sugar. Mix well.
- Reserve 2tbs of coconut flakes and add the remaining flakes to the cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Grease and dust a bread tin and pour half the batter into it.
- Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over it.
- Pour the remaining batter on top and even out the top.
- Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven from 35minutes to 45minutes.
- If the top browns fast, cover it with foil.
- When a tooth pick comes out clean, remove the tin from oven and place it on counter for 10minutes. The bread sins a little.
- Flip it on a wire rack and remove the tin.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- Mix the sugar and milk until you get a glaze of pouring consistency.
- With a spoon, spoon the glaze on the bread.
- Top it with the reserved coconut flakes.
- Serve along with a cup of coffee or tea.
Home Made Cream Cheese:
1. Boil milk.
2. Add citric acid and switch off stove.
3. Stir until the milk curdles.
4. Line a metal sieve with muslin cloth.
5. Pour the curdled milk in it and allow the whey to drain for 30minutes.
6. In the mixer jar, add the chenna and curd.
7. Grind until smooth and creamy.
8. Pour this mixture on the muslin cloth lined sieve.
9. Cover and place it in the refrigerator.
10. Let the water drain out for 2-3hours.
11. Remove the creamy cheese from the muslin and store in a jar.
Labels: BAKES, BAKING EGGLESS, BREAD, COCONUT, EGGLESS, FLOUR, LEMON