For this month's Magic Mingle#6, Kalyani chose two of my favorite ingredients. All purpose flour/ maida and Coriander are the magic ingredients, members have to use up in a single dish. When I first read about this combination, the first thing which came to my mind is biscuits. But after some though, I decided upon crackers. Crackers are yeasted, light and crispy treats. I usually buy Britannia cream crackers when ever I visit the stores. I even have tried making it at home, but couldn't achieve the expected result. There was a recipe of soda crackers from king arthur flour site which I had bookmarked before a long time. I adapted that recipe and did the necessary changes and prepared these wonderful crispy crackers. The crackers I prepared last time were a bit harder but today I got perfect crispy and light crackers with the beautiful flavour of coriander leaves. I was so excited because I have not baked for nearly a month. To get back to baking is really great. I enjoyed making these crackers and loved eating them. I am waiting for K to return home to try it out.
Makes 40 2"*2" crackers:
All Purpose Flour-1 1/2cups
1. Chop coriander and green chillies finely using a hand blender or a mixer grinder with out adding water.
2. Mix flour, salt, yeast, sugar, baking powder and chopped coriander in a bowl.
3. Add water, butter and oil in a saucepan and heat it until butter melts.
4. Remove from flame and wait until the mixture becomes lukewarm.
5. Add the water to the flour mixture and mix until you get a soft dough. You don't have to add any more water.
6. Knead it for 2 minutes, cover with a cling film and keep it aside for 2hours. The dough would have doubled by now. Place the dough in the refrigerator for an hour.
7. Remove dough from fridge and let it rest for 15 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 220C.
9. Punch down dough and knead it to make it smooth. Divide it into 5 equal parts.
10. Dust the counter and roll a portion into a 6"*6*square.
11. Grease a baking tray. Cut the square into 3 equal strips and cut each strip into 3 equal parts. You will get 9 2"*2" squares. Place them on the tray with out leaving space.
12. Prick the crackers with a fork.
13. Bake for 5 minutes.
14. With the help of a spatula, flip all the crackers and bake for another 5minutes or until golden brown.
15. Ensure that all the crackers are crispy by the time. Transfer the crispy crackers to a wire rack to cool. If you have any soft cracker left, then bake it further until they get crispy.
16. When cool store in airtight jar. Serve along with coffee.
Linking this to Magic Mingle#6 and Yeastspotting
Labels: BAKES, BISCUIT, CORIANDER, EGGLESS, FLOUR, GREEN CHILLY, SAVORY, SUGAR, YEAST