For this month, Jason of Daily Candor challenged the bakers to prepare two dishes. One is the Armenian Nutmeg cake and the other is ... I will tell you tomorrow. Armenian Nutmeg cake is flavored with powdered nutmeg and it has two layers. The base is a biscuit layer and the top layer is a cake layer. So when you take a bite at the slice, you can get the crispy biscuit + soft spongy cake. The texture is lovely and this is the first time I prepared this cake. After tasting a piece, I sent the other pieces to my hubby's office. Every one liked it. It is very different from the normal cake we eat and that is a nice twist. I tried the eggless version and substituted the egg with milk and vinegar. The walnuts gave a nice crunch to the soft cake. The cake is actually baked in a spring form pan. If you don't own one (just like me), you can try it out in a loose bottomed round pan. I halved the actual recipe and made it in a 7 1/2" round pan.
Cold Butter-1/3cup (cut into pieces)
Ground Nutmeg-1/2tsp (Grate it using a grater)
1. Mix flour, baking powder and sugar.
2. Mix in the butter and rub it until the flour resembles bread crumbs.
3. Divide the mixture into two.
4. Grease a loose bottomed 7 1/2" round pan.
5. Place half of the flour mixture and press it until firm.
6. In a separate bowl, add milk and baking soda.
7. Add vinegar and nutmeg to milk and whisk.
8. Add this to the flour and mix well. The mixture will be thin.
9. Pour the batter into the pan over the base.
10. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top.
11. Preheat oven to 175C.
12. Bake the cake until the top is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
13. If the cake browns fast, place a sheet of foil on top of thepan and bake until done.
14. Remove from oven and allow it to cool.
15. Place the pan on a firm smaller object, loosen the sides of the cake with a knife and gently remove the outer ring.
16. With a help of a long spatula loosen the cake's base and carefully transfer to a serving plate.
17. Slice it up and enjoy.
Cut the butter into the flour mixture
Rub until crumbly
Press half the mixture onto the base of a pan
Mix the milk mixture to the remaining flour
Pour on the base and sprinkle walnuts
Bake until golden
Slice and serve
Labels: ARMENIAN, BAKES, BROWN SUGAR, BUTTER, CAKE, EGGLESS, FLOUR, WALNUTS