Rasam is South Indian Soup. This is always relished with hot rice. This rasam is quite rich in taste because of the addition of coconut milk. Usually rasam powder is used in preparation. But my mom uses only pepper powder and cumin powder for flavour. This is an absolutely comforting and delicious rasam.
Tamarind-Lemon Sized Ball
Coriander Leaves-3tbs(finely chopped)
1. Pressure cook toor dhal with 1 cup of water. Mash and add it to the coconut milk along with water.
2. Soak tamarind and tomatoes in 1/4cup of water.
3. Crush it with your hand to extract all the juices.
4. Discard the pulp and add the extract to the coconut milk.
5. Crush the garlic pods in a mortar and add it to the milk.
6. Add broken red chillies, pepper powder and cumin powder.
7. Heat oil for tempering and add the tempering ingredients in order.
8. When they crackle add the coconut milk mixture.
9. Do not allow this mixture to boil.
10. The rasam will start frothing.
11. In a bowl, add salt and coriander leaves.
12. When the rasam comes to boiling stage, pour it into the bowl and cover with a lid immediately.
13. Serve after 5 minutes.
Labels: COCONUT, RASAM, SOUTH INDIAN DELICACIES, TAMARIND