Gooseberries are very healthy. There are a variety of dishes using goose berries. My mom prepares this rice often. This is a very simple dish but tastes heavenly. This rice goes well with lime pickle and vadagam. I also prepare coconut chutney to go with this. This also makes a good lunch box dish. Today I prepared it for Sruti to take to her school.
Goose berry-7 or 8
Mustard and Urad dhal-2tsp
Curry Leaves- a sprig
1. Cook rice with three proportion of water and salt.
2. Remove seeds from goose berries and grind it in a mixer grinder without adding water. Goose berries can also be grated but as my daughter likes it this way, I grind it.
3. Heat oil and add channa dhal. When golden, add mustard and urad dhal.
4. When they splutter add hing, red chilly and curry leaves.
5. Add the gooseberry and saute for a minute.
6. Add turmeric powder, salt and methi powder and give a nice stir.
7. Switch flame to low and let it cook for 2 more minutes and remove from flame.
8. Allow the cooked rice to cool. Add 1 tbs sesame oil to the rice and mix well.
9. Add the gooseberry mixture and mix it carefully. If mixed rigorously, the rice will become mushy.
10. Serve it along with pickle, chutney and vadagam.
Sending this to CWS-RICE hosted by Reva and started by Priya.
Labels: GOOSE BERRY, RICE VARIETIES, SOUTH INDIAN DELICACIES