From the day I saw an You tube video on making croissants, I really wanted to do it. I haven’t tasted croissant because we don’t get it in our place. It was a dream come true when I first tasted croissant made at home. After the work I did for the preparation, the result was great. Buttery, Flaky, Light, Tasty are the words I would use to explain croissants. My little one loved it very much. Sending this to A.W.E.D French hosted by Priya and started by DK of Chef in You.
- Add little water to the yeast and prepare a paste.
- Mix sugar, flour, salt and yeast mixture.
- Add water and prepare a soft dough. The dough will be little sticky.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface and knead dough for 15 minutes. The resultant dough must be soft and elastic.
- Make it into a ball and make a cross incision on the dough. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow it to raise for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile take cold butter on a butter paper. Sprinkle flour and fold the butter paper on the butter.
- With a rolling pin flatten the butter and roll it into a square.
- Refrigerate till needed.
- After 2 hours punch dough to let air out and shape the dough into a square.
- Keep the cold butter in the middle and fold the dough over the butter and cover it completely.(follow photo tutorial)
- Roll the square dough with butter into a rectangle.
- Fold the rolled dough into 4 layers.
- Roll it again into a rectangle and fold it to form 3 layers.
- Keep this in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the stiff dough again into a rectangle and fold it again into 3 layers. Refrigerate again for 30 minutes.
- Repeat steps13 and 14 four times.
- After four times roll the dough into a thin rectangle. Trim the sides to form a neat rectangle. (Do not waste the trimmed edges. Just sprinkle chocolate gratings and roll it and bake it.)
- Cut it into triangles as shown in photo tutorial.
- Roll each triangle from wider end to pointed end to form croissant.
- Arrange the rolled croissants on a greased baking tray, cover with a damp cloth and allow it to raise for 2 hours.
- Brush the raised croissants with milk and bake at 175C till the crust is golden brown.
- Enjoy light, crispy, flaky, buttery croissants with tea or coffee.
Preparing The Dough:
Prepare a paste of yeast and add all the ingredients except butter
Make a sticky dough. Knead it with sprinkled flour for 15 minutes till it is smooth and elastic.
Make a cross incision with a knife and allow to rise for 2 hours.
Preparing The Butter:
Keep the butter on a butter paper, sprinkle flour and fold the paper over the butter.
With a rolling pin slightly beat the butter to flatten it and roll it into a square. Keep it in fridge to harden.
Preparing The Croissant:
Shape the dough into a square. Place the butter as shown and fold the dough over butter.
Fold the edges of dough over the sides of butter to completely cover the butter.
Roll it into a rectangle and fold the sides to the centre.
Again fold as for a book and roll it into a rectangle.
Bring the side to 1/3rd of the rectangle. Fold over the other side on top to form 3 layers. Refrigerate and repeat this step 4 more times.
On the fifth time roll the dough into a thin rectangle and cut it into 3 for mini croissants and cut it in between for larger version.
Cut each strip into triangles as shown. Stretch each triangle on your rolling board.
Roll from the broader side to the pointed end to form a croissant. Arrange on greased baking tray.
Apply a coat of milk after 2 hours and bake at 175C till golden brown.
Labels: BAKES, BREAD RECIPES, EGGLESS, SNACKS