Ven Pongal is a breakfast menu usually had with sambhar, coconut chutney and medhu vadai. Made with basmati rice and moong dhal it tastes heavenly. It is full of cashew nuts, whole black pepper and cumin which makes the pongal spicy and delicious. Usually kids tend to remove all the black peppers before relishing. But when you have an important job to do please avoid Ven Pongal because it makes you sleepy. That is what we feel as it is a rich and filling breakfast.
Ponni raw rice-1cup
Cashew-10 (broken to small pcs)
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
1. Roast rice and dhal for a minute , wash it and filter the water.
2. Take water in a pressure cooker and when it boils add rice and dhal. Add salt.
3. Heat ghee in a separate pan, add cashew. When it is golden brown add pepper. When it splutters add it to 75% cooked rice.
4. Pressure cook for 2 minutes .(when you hear the whistle,turn flame to low and switch it off after 2 minutes)
5. Wait for 15minutes before serving.
Labels: RICE VARIETIES, SOUTH INDIAN DELICACIES