Red Velvet Cake with Creamy Vanilla Frosting

For this month's Home Baker's Challenge ( I know I am very late in posting this but please forgive) , host Shazana of He Chops and She Cooks chose red velvet as the theme. And she gave us so many recipes to choose from. Once I tried the eggless version of red velvet cake but the colour came out brownish. The recipe which Shazana gave had eggs in them and I wanted to try it without changing much. I will be posting an eggless version soon. For the frosting, I didn't go for cream cheese frosting. When I googled, there was a recipe for creamy vanilla icing which was quite different from what I usually make. It cooked flour and milk together and then added it to the butter sugar mixture. All the recipes I read said that the texture is like whipped cream. So I chose to do it along with this cute cake. I don't know how many of you feel bad to see me cooking with eggs. I just wanted to clarify that it is for experimenting purposes and as a home baker, I couldn't reject what clients ask for. At first I had a tough time using eggs in cake. I felt like all the cakes smelled like omelette. But when I gave them to clients, they were quite happy. After nearly 6 months, I have got used to the smell of eggs. But still my vote will be for eggless bakes and I will be making eggless treats for my family. Even hubby has voted for the eggless cakes. For now only Sruti tries what I make with eggs and the remaining go to office or to friends.


This cake unlike the other cake turned out with a bright red colour. And there was no beetroot purr involved in this recipe. It is purely food colour. The important step in getting the colour is mixing the liquid colour with cocoa powder to make a red paste and then adding it to the batter. There was also another techique which will make the cake very soft and fluffy. It was the first time for me but it created great result. Mixing baking soda and apple cider vinegar gives a nice airy mixture which in turn turns the cake airy. I have to try this in an eggless cake. The cake turned out so soft and moist with a bright red. My daughter has not even seen a red velvet cake and she is so afraid of the colour red. Even she sees a drop of blood, she starts crying. So after I finished the cake she didn't even want to taste it. But one of my nephews who was there for vacation liked it and gave me a thums up. The remaining cake went to office where the cake got good reviews. 




Recipe Source: Shazana
Makes a 6" two layer cake
Ingredients:
For The Cake:
Flour-1 1/4 cups
Salt-1/2 tsp
Sugar-1/2 cup
Butter-1/2 cup
Egg-1
Cocoa Powder-1/2 tbs
Liquid Red Food Colour-3/4 tbs
Buttermilk-1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence-1/2 tsp
Baking Soda-1/4 tsp
Apple Cider Vinegar-1/2 tbs

For The Icing:
Milk-1/2 cup
Flour-2 1/2 tbs
Vanilla-1 tsp
Butter-1/2 cup
Granulated Sugar-1/2 cup

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. In a bowl mix together food colour and cocoa powder until it forms a smooth paste.
3. In another bowl mix together flour and salt and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
5. Add in the cocoa mixture and beat until incorporated.
6. Add the egg and beat for a minute. Add vanilla and mix.
7. Now add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, starting with flour and ending with flour.
8. Mix vinegar and baking soda and once it starts  bubbling add it to the batter and mix until incorporated.
9. Grease and line two 6" round pans and divide the batter between the two.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
11. Let it cool in the pan for a while and then flip on to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
12. While the cake is cooling let us make the frosting.
13. In a sauce pan combine milk and flour.
14. Use a whisk as we don't want lumps in our frosting.
15. Heat the mixture and cook it on low flame until it becomes a thick batter.
16. Remove from flame and allow it to cool completely. Cover the top with a cling film to avoid the formation os skin.
17. In a bowl beat together butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
18. Now add the cooled flour mixture and beat for 5 minutes until the texture is like whipped cream. 
19. Place a layer of the cake in a serving plate, spread some frosting on tp and place the other layer.
20. Now cover the whole cake with the frosting and with a spatula create some wave like texture on the frosting.
21. Decorate with edible sugar beads and serve.



Mix together food colour and cocoa.



Beat sugar and butter and add the paste.



Add vanilla.



Add an egg.



Now add the flour mixture.



Then buttermilk.



Mix together soda and vinegar.



Add it to the batter.



Beat until incorporated.



Divide the batter between two 6" cake tins.



Once baked cool on wire rack.



Mix together milk and flour.



Whisk it until there are no lumps.



Cook until thick. Allow it to cool.



Take sugar, butter and vanilla.



Beat until creamy.



Add the flour mixture.



Beat until light and fluffy.



Place a layer and apply icing.



Place the other layer and cover the whole cake with icing. Using spatula, give some texture to the frosting. Decorate it with sugar beads. ( I forgot to sprinkle it)



Slice it up and serve..


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: ,