Bharwa Baingan - Uttar Pradesh

I have a very good news to share with you all. This is my 1000th post and I thank all my reader for giving me the encouragement in all these 3 1/2 years. And also my blog has also crossed 26,40,000 pageviews today. I am very happy seeing all the statistics of my blog and I am so grateful. Thanks a lot. Keep on reading this blog and please give me suggestions to improve. 
Only three more days to complete the Indian Food Odyssey and I feel so relieved that I have completed all the cooking and clicking done so many days before.  This is the very first time, I have prepared all the dishes in advance and so this whole month I am am quite peaceful and so is my hubby. Last time I did the marathon, I was so tensed as I made the dishes on the day of posting and it would reflect on both hubby and Sruti. So my hubby was so happy that I made all the dishes ahead and has asked me to do the same for the future events. 



Today we travel to Uttar Pradesh. As the name suggests this state is situated in the northern part of India. It shares its boundaries with Rajasthan, Haryana, Delhi, Uttarakand, Nepal, Bihar, Jharkand, Chattisgarh and Madya Pradesh. Awadhi and Mughlai are the two cuisines famous here. Most of the recipes are so much similar to the North Indian states and it is said that the chaats are originally from UP. This recipe of stuffed eggplants is from Asan Khana. The blogger says that her mom is from Ghaziapur which is a district in UP and this is her recipe. So I thought this recipe would fit the bill. The spicy onions are stuffed in the eggplants/ brinjals and they are roasted on low flame until the pouter skin is crisp. The onions roasted along with the brinjals turn slightly dark and crisp and they taste amazing. Even when I am typing this I remember its taste and it really makes me hungry. Though hubby is not a great fan of brinjals, he liked this dish. I served it along with rice and it was fantastic.


Recipe Source: Asan Khana
Ingredients:
Oil-3-4 tbs
Small Brinjal/ Eggplant-10-12
Garam Masala-1 tsp

For The Filling:
Oil-2 tbs
Onion-2
Garlic Cloves-6-7
Green Chiily-4
Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 tsp
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Fennel Seeds-1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds-1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Nigella Seeds-1 tsp

Procedure:
For The Filling:
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. 
2. When they crackle, add the onions, garlic and green chillies.
3. Saute until golden.
4. In a mixer jar take all the seeds and spice powders nad grind to a fine paste.
5. Add this paste to the onions along with salt and saute on low flame until the mixture is dry.
6. Keep aside until it cools.

Preparing and Cooking:
1. Remove one inch of the stalk of the brinjals. Make a cross cut upto 3/4 th of the brinjal with out cutting it fully.
2. Now stuff the slitsas with the onion mixture. If the onion mixture is excess, no worries. they will be added at the time of roasting.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the brinjals.
4. Cover and cook on low flame until done.
5. Add the remaining onions and cook it uncovered on low flame. It will take some time to become crispy. 
6. Keep on sauteeing until the skin of brinjals start turning crisp. Add in the garam masala and give a nice mix.
7. Remove from flame once the brinjals are dry and the onions are crisp.
8. Serve hot with rotis or rice.



Take all the seeds and spice powders in a mixer jar.



Grind to a fine paste.



Saute onions, green chillies and garlic.



Add the paste and salt.



Cook until it is dry.



Make slits in the brinjals.


Stuff them with the filling.



Finish with all the brinjals.



Saute in oil. Add the remaining onion mixture.



Add garam masala.



Serve hot with rice or roti..




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up



Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , ,