Thoothukudi Macroons

Recently I have been experimenting a lot with eggs in my baking. Though I don't eat eggs, I have started using eggs in baking since I started Sai Bakes - My baking venture in Madurai. It is quite interesting and customers are loving the bakes a lot. And I have been getting mails from readers asking for recipes of bakes using eggs. So why not share the recipes and experiments with readers. So here is my new blog and this will be surely a fun filled journey for all of us. 



For the very first post I thought of sharing an Indian recipe. Thoothukudi is a city in South Tamil Nadu and is very famous for macaroons. These macaroons are light and loaded with cashew nuts. They just melt in the mouth. I remember eating these macaroons during my egg eating days but now I am not tempted as it is fully made of egg whites. Both hubby dear and Sruti gave a thumbs up after tasting these macaroons. My macaroons tuned out a bit flat compared to the store bought ones but tastewise it was good. The main technique involved in making these macroons is the beating of egg whites. You need to use an electric beater to make it easier but you can also use a whisk. These need to be baked at the lowest temperature setting. My oven's was 100C. But the recipe book suggested 90C. You need to bake it for 1 hour to get the crispy texture.


Makes 30 small macroons
Ingredients:
Egg White-3
Granulated Sugar-125 gm
Cashew Nut-125 gm

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 100C.
2. Grind cashew to a coarse powder and keep it aside.
3. Take the whites in a large bowl and start whisking using electric beater.
4. Beat until the whites form soft peaks.
5. Add 1 tsp of sugar at a time and keep on beating until you use up all the sugar.
6. Continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks and when the bowl is inverted, the mixture shouldn't fall.
7. Add half the cashew and fold in gently with a spatula.
8. Add the remaining cashew and fold in. Do not over mix. Do it gently.
9. Take a piping bag with a round tip.
10. Fill it with the mixture.
11. Line a tray with baking paper.
12. Pipe out small tall maroons on the tray.
13. Bake them for 60 minutes.
14. Take the tray out of oven and allow it to cool completely.
15. Enjoy with a cup of coffee.
16. Store remaining macroons in an airtight jar.



Take cashew in a jar.



Grind to a coarse powder.



Take egg whites in a bowl.



Beat until soft peaks form.



Add 1 tsp of suagr at a time and beat.



Beat until stiff.



Add half of cashew and fold in.



Add remaining cashew and fold.



The prepared mixture.



Take it in a piping bag with a round nozzle.



Pipe out small tall macroons.



Fill the tray and bake.



Once cool, remove from tray.



Enjoy!!!


Here is a small video showing the procedure made by me. Please subscribe to my channel...


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , ,