Remembering Dad With his favorite Sweet - Rasgolla with a South Indian Twist

It has been more than 10 days, I posted in my blog. These 10 days were the toughest days in this new year. After mom left us to heavenly abode 6 months back, my dad has also followed her. I just couldn't believe it. Now I am left without my parents and it is killing me. Until they were alive a small girl was alive within me and now I feel like I am missing that girl. Suddenly I feel very lonely and old. The only reason I am staying sane is my little girl Sruti. I didn't even feel like sitting before my PC, but I wanted something to divert me from the sorrow which has struck me the second time in six months. And this post is to remember my Dad with his favourite sweet. 




This is the snap of mom and dad before 20 years. I know the editing is very bad but I couldn't do a better job. 



 He is the only reason my mom evolved into a great cook and it in turn inspired me. He used to give a lot of encouragement to mom. Even if a dish goes bad, he never complained about it. He was also interested in baking bread. He used to experiment a lot about bread baking and we have enjoyed the breads he made  many days. When mom was into cake baking, he was the one who decorated the cake. He used a large disposable syringe to write down the birthday messages at the time we were unaware of the piping nozzles. I could go on writing about him, but let us move back to the recipe.
Before 2 weeks, I got a call from him. He wanted me to experiment with rasgolla. Instead of using sugar syrup, his idea was to use jaggery syrup to cook the rasgollas. He also wanted me to bring it to Coimbatore for tasting. So I made them and took them to Coimbatore. By the time he was so weak and couldn't talk. But still he tasted them and gave a nod that it was good. Then I returned back to Madurai. Then after two days, my brother called me that dad wanted to see me. Fortunately, I happened to be with him during his last minutes. I hope he joined my mom and they are happy together.


My dad loved sweets and I have got that gene from him. We both used to devour milk sweets and there would be competition between us. When I made this for dad I used light brown sugar as I thought jaggery's flavour would be very strong. And I guessed it right. The one I made for my Dad was very mild and they tasted just like Rasgollas but the Jaggery version was so strong. It tasted like a south Indian sweet but both versions are absolutely delicious. I am not going to give any recipe for this as I have already posted rasgolla recipe. I just substituted sugar with grated jaggery. You need to filter the jaggery syrup before adding the paneer balls as there will be lots of impurities. Other than that the procedure is just the same.


Make balls out of nicely mashed paneer.



Dissolve jaggery in water, filter it and bring it to boil.



Add the paneer balls and let them boil in medium flame.



I didn't knead the paneer properly. so The rasgollas started disintegrating. While rolling the balls, roll it tight and boil the syrup on medium flame. Then you will get whole rasgollas.


Serve with Love!!!

Here is the original Rasgolla Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , ,