Perfect French Fry

I have tasted French Fry once in a restaurant and then I never ever wanted to taste it again. It was soft, soggy and there was so much oil in it. My mom used to make the most delicious potato fries and I have never ever done it perfect. So I usually stay away from chips making. Last week one of my readers wanted the French Fry recipe. So I started searching for the perfect French Fry recipe which doesn't turn soft and soggy as soon as it cools down. I have read about double frying and triple frying and I have tried them both and never got my fries crispy. But anyhow it turns, my daughter finishes it off as she is a great fan. But if I want to post it in my blog, then it must be perfected as many of you will be trying it. I saw the recipe at Serious Eats. I was surprised how the author had experimented with the recipe and obtained one which makes perfect crispy fries. There was lot of techniques involved and every technique had a reason. If you want to learn about the details please check this page. It is amazing.




The first step is to cut even strips of 1/4". That was quite a problem for me as I didn't have a mandolin. I googled for the method and found one on youtube. Though the slices are not perfect, they were nearer the 1/4" size. Next the potato has to be blanched for 10 minutes in a water bath which has both vinegar and salt. Then they are allowed to cool. Now comes the first frying in which the fries are fried for exactly 50 seconds on high heat. Then they are allowed to cool completely before freezing them for at least 2 hours. Then comes the final frying which takes approximately 3 1/2 minutes. The fries become a lovely golden colour but never become overly dark. They retain their cripness even after 10 minutes and tasted absolutely delicious. there was hardly any oil visible and they didn't turn soggy. I have still a batch in my freezer which I will be frying on my daughter's birthday. 




Recipe Source: Serious Eats
Ingredients:
Potatoes-4 large
Salt-2 tsp
Vinegar- 2 tbs
Water-3 lt
Oil- To Deep Fry
Salt and Pepper Powder to taste

Procedure:
1. Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Peel the skin.
2. Wash them again. Now Cut them into 1/4" slices. You can follow the snaps on how to cut them.
3. Now in a large heavy bottomed pan, add the potatoes, salt, vinegar and water.
4. Bring the water to boil.
5. Let it boil for exactly 10 minutes.
6. Drain water and spread it on a paper towel lined baking tray. I used a towel to absorb the water.
7. When it has cooled down, heat oil in a pan.
8. Fry in three to five batches depending upon the size of the pan.
9. When the oil is ghot fry the potato slices for exactly 50 seconds.
10. Remove from oil, transfer it to a lined baking tray and allow it to cool completely for 30 minutes.
11. Now cover it with foil and place it in freezer and let it sit there for a minimum of 2 hours. If you can wait, then fry it the next day. 
12. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the frozen fries for 3 1/2 minutes until it is crispy and golden. 
13. Drain oil and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
14. When all the fries are fried, sprinkle salt and pepper powder, give a nice stir and serve immediately along with ketchup.



Cut on one side of the peeled potato to make a flat edge.



Rest the potato on the flat edge.



Now cut out 1/4' slices.



Now cut the slices into 1/4" julienne.



Cut all the potatoes like this.



Add water, vinegar and salt.



Bring it to boil and boil it for 10 minutes.



Drain water and arrange on a towel lined tray.



When completely cool, deep fry them for 50 seconds.



Drain oil.



Arrange on a tray.



Freeze them for 2 hours or more.



I stored a batch in a plastic box and in freezer.



Deep fry at the time of serving. Fry for 3 1/2 minutes.



Drain oil.



Add salt and pepper.



Aren't they adorable? They never become dark.



Enjoy with ketchup...


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: ,