Decorating a Cake With Sugar Paste

Whenever I see a video on cake decorating, I will be tempted to try it out. That is how I tried so many buttercream decorated cakes. The next thing on my wish list was working with fondant. Fondant may not taste great but they make beautiful cake decorations. And the problem with fondant is it has egg  and gelatin in it. So it was always a dream for me to get a vegetarian and eggless fondant to try it on my cakes. One day I was going through an online store and came across a box of sugar paste. When I checked it was egg free and vegetarian. So I ordered for it immediately. When the box arrived I was so happy and so many crazy ideas started running through my head. But I wanted to make a simple cake as it will be my first trial. As I have gone through so many videos and cookery shows previously, the procedure was etched in my mind. 




Yesterday I made a chocolate cake and used the sugar paste to cover it. I also made some roses day before yesterday and everything put together, it made a great looking cake. I am just sharing with you how I made it. It is very easy and you can stun your better half or your child with sugar paste covered cake. My daughter was so pleased with the result and we are really not in a mood to slice this cake.


Bake a cake and allow it to cool. Apply a tbs of buttercream on the cake board and place your cake on it.



Level the top of the cake and give a coat of buttercream. Make the buttercream layer smooth using a spatula.



Roll out the sugar paste into a thin disc big enough to cover the cake. Dust with icing sugar if sticky.



Now carefully lift it and lay it on the cake.



Pull away the rolled sugar paste and let it fit on the cake without any creases.



Trim away the excess sugar paste.



Remove the excess.



Roll the removed sugar paste into ropes and twist them together to get a twisted rope.



Apply water along the edge and place the rope on it. The water will help the sugar paste to stick to the cake.



Make some roses with the sugar paste on the previous day and allow it to air dry.



Arrange on the finished cake and be happy with the result...


Last time when I announced the Walk Through Memory Lane event, I couldn't announce the winner of last month's WTML. Poornima hosted the event last month and from the names she sent, I selected a lucky winner who will be receiving a copy of Non Fried Snacks by Tarla Dalal. The entry I selected is Kodubale and the blogger is Smitha of Cook With Smile. Congrats Smitha. Please mail me your Indian address and phone number so that I can ship you the book.


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , ,