Celebrating New Year With Nei Puttu

Wish You All A Very Happy and Prosperous New Year

This is the start of the year 2014 and I hope this year brings joy and success to all my readers. Hope you like the new look of my blog. Last month I have been baking like crazy and from this year on I would like to include more of regional recipes along with the bakes. I love baking but I also need to concentrate on guilt free recipes. For this New Year I have so many resolutions and one among them is to eat healthy. Though baking is interesting, it is loaded with sugar and butter which has to be avoided for a healthy living. So along with my posts on calorie loaded cakes and bakes, I will also be featuring recipes using millet. I need to stay healthy and I am planning to reduce the extra weight I added during the holidays. 
Nei Puttu is a delicious rice based dish. To make it extra delicious ghee is added to it while serving it piping hot. My hubby used to buy this puttu during his visits to Dindigul during our early stages of our marriage. The hotel near the bus stand was famous for Nei Puttu and it used to taste absolutely divine. This may seem weird after all those talks about dieting resolution but starting the new year with this regional dish would not do any harm. And also it was in my drafts and it was prepared a long time ago. This is for you to enjoy as a visual treat. Do try it to know how yummy it tastes.


Ingredients:
Puttu Flour-1 cup ( I used white raw rice to make the puttu flour)
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
Sugar-1/2 cup or to taste
Ghee-2 tbs
Coconut-1/2 cup

Procedure:
1. In a large plate take the flour and sprinkle water.
2. Rub the flour between palms to get a soft and fluffy flour. It should be wet to touch but should not be soggy.
3. Sift it through a sieve.
4. Place it in a white cloth and steam cook for 15 minutes.
5. Transfer it on to a plate and add sugar, cardamom powder, coconut and ghee.
6. Mix well and serve the fluffy puttu immediately.


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , ,