Ice Cream Falooda

I am a member of South Vs North Challenge, started by Divya of You Too Can Cook. Every month, a member from North team will challenge the South team with an authentic north Indian recipe, while a member of Southern team will challenge the North team with an authentic South Indian recipe. I try to participate every month, but once I skipped the challenge. It was on September and the challenge was hosted by Minnie. Falooda, being a rich north Indian dessert is a layered chilled dessert, the main ingredient being falooda noodle. The falooda noodles are readily available in market and it is easy breezy to make this dessert. But for me, it was tough as my fridge was giving so many problems and falooda noodles is not available at my place. I went through so many posts on making the noodles at home, but due to the lack of my fridge, I didn't attempt it. And one fine day, i.e my birthday, my hubby dear gifted me a fridge and the first thought which came to my mind was to try falooda. I didn't want to buy icecream and so made it at home. 


While attempting the falooda noodles, I faced so many problems. First, I didn't read the recipe properly and added very less water and ended up with a stiff corn flour dough, which had to be discarded. In my next attempt, I under cooked the cornflour and when I piped it through the sieve into ice water, it just dissolved into the water. Again I transferred the corn flour mixture to the pan and cooked it a little more, but still it was under cooked and again it dissolved. The third time, I cooked it perfectly and when the noodles fell into the ice water bath, it held its shape. I was so afraid to touch the noodles, but it was beautiful, soft and glassy. I was so happy to see it turn out perfectly after so many attempts. And when I served it first, I didn't see distinct layers. So I experimented with layers and finally got the beautiful looking falooda which tasted heavenly. When I was assembling the dessert, I saw that I had no pistachios and almonds and so settled with chironji seeds. I should thank Minnie for introducing me to this wonderful dessert. 





Home Made Falooda Noodles

The falooda dessert has so many components and when assembled it becomes this exotic dessert. The first and foremost component of the dessert is the falooda sev. If you get ready made falooda sev, then think yourself lucky. Else it is the perfect opportunity to learn something new. I got this recipe from Shital's Kitchen




Mix 1/2 cup of corn flour with 2 cups of water and 1 tbs of sugar.'




Keep on whisking the mixture until it becomes glossy and transparent.




Transfer it to a idiyappam press.




Press it into ice cold water. You will see fine noodles falling into the water. If the noodles doesn't hold shape, then you need to cook the mixture further.




Finish off the remaining batter.



Rose Milk:




Drain the sev and add it to rose milk. Refrigerate.


Ingredients:
Milk-2 cups
Rose Milk Essence-4-5 drops
Sugar-- to taste

Procedure:
1. Boil milk. 
2. Add sugar and essence.
3. Allow it to cool completely.
4. Refrigerate until serving. 
5. Once the falooda sev is done, add it to the rose milk.


Saffron Milk



Mix 1 cup of milk with saffron and sugar to taste. Refrigerate.


Basil Seeds



Soak three tablespoons of basil seeds overnight. It would be ready by the next morning. Refrigerate.


Vanilla Ice Cream



Make vanilla ice cream at home and keep it ready.

Vanilla Ice Cream:
Ingredients:
Milk-3 cups
Fresh Cream-2 cups
Sugar-1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence-2 tsp
Corn Flour-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. Bring milk to boil.
2. Mix corn flour to 1/4 cup of room temperature milk.
3. Add sugar and corn flour mixture to boiling milk and whisk until it is completely cooked and becomes a little thick.
4. Add vanilla essence and allow it to cool completely.
5. Add cream and whisk with a wooden spoon.
6. Transfer to a plastic box and refrigerate.
7. Take the box out of refrigerator after an hour and whisk it with a wooden spoon.
8. Return it back to the freezer.
9. Repeat it 5 times.
10. During the sixth time, transfer the contents to a mixer jar and beat until smooth.
11. Now freeze it until set.


Arranging Ice Cream Falooda

The layering is completely of your choice. This is the way I layered the dessert.
Take a scoop of ice cream and place it in a tall glass.
Take 3-4 tbs of falooda from the rose milk and add it to the top of ice cream.
Pour 1/4 cup of rose milk on top.
Place a spoon on the rose milk layer and add the saffron milk layer. This will ensure that the layers remain intact.
Add 2 tbs of basil seeds.
Add a scoop of ice cream on top.
Garnish with dry fruits.
Serve immediately.





As this month, there is no challenge at SNC and Divya has asked us to complete any pending challenges, I thought of posting this for the occasion. 

Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , , ,