Green Gram/ Paasipayaru Sundal

For the second day of Blogging Marathon #34, it is a simple yet delicious sundal under evening snacks. My mom used to make sundal often for evening snacks. And I used to love this sundal. It is quite easy to make and I don't add onions in sundal. But if you like you can add a finely chopped onion while tempering. The boiling of the gram is the most important point while making this sundal. I usually cook it in a pan so that I will be able to see how much it has cooked. I stay away from pressure cooking as this sundal goes mushy very easily. During my hostel days, they used to give us this sundal on Thursday evening and they would serve some sugar along with it. At first I used to hate this combination but after some days started loving it. And even today when I prepare this sundal, I add generous helping of sugar along with the sundal and PK gives me a weird look. But who cares???




Ingredients:
Green Gram-1 cup
Oil-1 tbs
Mustard Seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad Dhal-1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Red Chilly-2 nos
Salt-to taste
Grated Coconut-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. In a pan boil 4-5 cups of water.
2. Add the green gram and cook until soft.
3. Immediately pour it into a strainer and drain water completely.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and urad dhal.
5. When they crackle, add curry leaves and broken red chilly.
6. Add in the cooked green gram and salt and mix thoroughly.
7. Add coconut, remove from flame, mix and serve it hot.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#34 

Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , ,