Navrathri Day 3 - Semiya Payasam

It is the third day of Navrathri festival and Sakti is worshipped on this day. Tomorrow it will be Goddess Lakshmi. For the final day of Sakti worship I made 4 dishes, two in the morning and two in the evening. For the sweet I made Semiya Payasam and for the variety rice I made Carrot Saadam. During evening I made Nei puttu and Paasiparuppu sundal. When I started my blogging I started it with Navrathri racipes. Now when I revisit my posts of the earlier days, I have a feeling that my photos are looking very bad. So when ever I get an opportunity, I need to go back and change the snaps. Today I did it with one post, Paasiparuppu Sundal. Celebrating Navrathri and sharing my dishes with you readers has been an awesome experience so far. Hope I complete this series with out any hurdles.




Paasiparuppu/ Moong Dhal Sundal (click on link for recipe)



Carrot Saadam



Nei Puttu ( I used white sugar in this recipe)



Semiya Paayasam

This paayasam / kheer is very easy to make and it has been featuring in my kitchen very often recently. When I got married PK hated payasams. Whatever recipe I make he never touched it. But recently he has developed a great liking to this semiya payasam and I am very happy that whenever I get an occasion, I prepare it. My mom used to add sabudana/ Javvarisi to this paayasam but as we are not fans of javvarisi, I just skip adding it. This is a very rich payasam with vermicelli cooked in milk. This thickens so much on cooling. So whlie removing from stove take it away while the paayasam is still thin. 




Ingredients:
Vermicelli-1/2 cup
Ghee-4 tbs
Cashew nuts-3-4 tbs
Milk-500 ml
Saffron Strands- a few
Cardamom Powder-a pinch
Sugar-1/3 cup

Procedure:
1. In a pan add 1 tbs ghee and roast vermicelli until golden. Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
2. Add 1 cup of water in the same pan and bring it to boil.
3. Add a pinch of cardamom powder and saffron strands.
4. When it boils add the roasted vermicelli.
5. When it has absorbed all the water add 1 cup of milk.
6. Let it start boiling. Add sugar and remaining milk.
7. Let the payasam boil for 5 minutes on low flame.
8. Roast cashew until golden in remaining ghee and allow it to cool. 
9. When paayasam is done with boiling, remove from flame and allow it to come to room temperature.
10. Add the fried cashew to it and give a nice stir.
11. Serve it immediately or chill and serve.

Note: Roasted cashew is added when cool because if you add it while hot the milk based payasam will curdle. 


Labels: , , , , ,