Navarathri- Day 1 - White Channa Sundal and Puttu

Happy Navarathri To All My Readers

Yesterday was the start of the famous Indian festival navrathri. Navrathri means 9 nights and the festival is completed on the 10th day with Vijayadashami. I am not very good at telling stories but my mom used to tell us nice stories about navrathri. Goddess Sakti fights the evil rakshash Mahishasura for 9 days and victory comes on the 10th day. Durga is worshipped for the first three days, Lakshmi the next three and Saraswathi the final three. There is a tradition of keeping golu during the 9 days and I love to visit golu and see all the arrangements but personally I have never attempted at keeping golu. Every year I think of making golu but looking at all the wonderful golus around the city, I feel like I will not do justice. So every time I skip it and you can call me lazy.



But I keep Kalasam in my house for the 9 days and prepare sweets and sundal for Goddess Sakti. I will be posting my Navrathi recipes during the next 10 days. Yesterday I made sakkarai pongal for the start of pooja. It starts with decorating the Kalasam and placing it in your pooja room. The arrangements are simple yet it looks divine and every time I keep kalasam I enjoy the experience a lot. During evening, I chant Lalitha Shasranamam and a sundal is offered along with puttu. 


White Channa Sundal/ Vellai Kondaikadalai Sundal

Sundal is a must for Navrathri. All the nine days, we prepare different types of sundal for offering. Basically the preparation remains the same and we don't use onion or garlic. When we visit golu in other houses, they give us sundal and flowers. 


Ingredients:
White Channa- 1 cup (Soaked and pressure Cooked)
Oil-1 tsp
Mustard-1/2 tsp
Urad Dhal1/2 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
Dry Red Chilly-1
Salt-to taste
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Coriander Leaves-3 tbs
Freshly Grated Coconut-3-4 tbs

Procedure:
1. Heat a pan and add oil and when hot add mustard, urad dhal and asafoetida.
2. When they crackle andd red chilly and curry leaves.
3. Add the cooked channa, salt and give a nice stir.
4. Switch off flame and add coriander leaves and coconut.
5. Mix well and serve.


Puttarisi Puttu Urundai

This puttu is made in form of laddus and is made with the red coloured puttarisi. it is very nutritious and makes a great offering during poojas. The step wise pictures are in another post. Please click the link for reading the preparartion of this puttu urundai. Though it looks like laddu, it crumbles when you take a bite and is very soft.


Sivappu Puttarisi Puttu Urundai




Simple yet Cute!!!


Labels: , , ,