Gulab Jamun - With Milk Powder

Today is a very special day and I will talk about it later. This post is also very special as the South Vs North Challenge I participate every month has completed a year. This challenge was started by Divya of You Too Can Cook and it is very interesting. The whole group is divided into North and South Teams. Every month north team member challenges the south team with an authentic north Indian recipe whereas a south team member challenges the North team with an authentic South Indian recipe. For the completion of a year this month members were asked to do a challenge which they missed out and I had three or four in my list. I missed last month's challenge but the other three were there before I joined the group. I chose Gulab Jamunas I haven't got this version right before. Last time I tried making jamuns with milk powder and it was an utter flop. So I always stay away from milk powder jamun recipe. This time I neede to do it right and I went through the posts of all the bloggers who took part in that challenge. All of them have got good results. So with fingers crossed, I tried them yesterday. Though little on the harder side, they tasted absolutely delicious and my hubby after returning from work devoured them. He even asked me why I made them so tasty that he couldn't stop eating. The recipe is from Pallavi of Though Shalt Cook.




Recipe Source: Pallavi
Makes 45 Jamuns
Ingredients:
Milk Powder-2 cups
Ghee-2 tbs
Semolina/ Sooji/ Rava-3 tbs
Maida/ Flour-6 tbs
Baking Powder-2 pinches
Cream / Full Cream Milk-8-9 tbs
Oil- To Deep Fry
Sugar-1 cup
Water-1 cup
Rose Syrup-1 tsp
Slivered Pistachios For Garnish

Procedure:
1. In a bowl mix together milk powder, maida, sooji and baking powder.
2. Add ghee and milk and form a soft dough.
3. Heat oil in a pan. While it is heating roll out small gooseberry sized balls out of the dough.
4. Drop them in oil and fry until golden. The oil should not be piping hot. Make sure that you fry the jamuns on medium low flame until golden.
5. In another pan add water and sugar and bring it to boil.
6. When the syrup is sticky, remove from flame and add the rose essence.
7. Drop the jamuns into hot syrup.
8. Fry the remaining jamuns and keep on adding them to the syrup.
9. Leave it to cool completely. The jamuns will soak the syrup and will become juicy.
10. Serve garnished with pistachio slivers.

P.S:
1. The temperature of oil is very crucial. If it is too hot, the jamuns will brown quickly and the inside will be raw. So keep flame on medium low and fry the jamuns. 
2. Make sure that the dough is soft. If you feel that it is crumbly, do not hesitate to add milk to loosen it. Very hard dough will result in hard jamuns.
3. After frying the first batch, the dough would have hardened as sooji will absorb the moisture. So before making balls, add a tbs of milk, knead the dough and then roll. This will ensure soft jamuns and uniformity.




Mix the dry ingredients.



Add milk cream and ghee.



Knead into a soft dough.



Make small gooseberry sized balls.



Fry them in oil.



They should turn nice brown.



Remove onto a plate.



Mix sugar and water.



When the sticky syrup is formed, remove from flame and add the essence.



Add the fried jamuns to the syrup.



Serve topped with pistachios when cool.

And here is why it is a special day , Today is my birthday and this sweet is the first I tasted i the morning. So started my day with this delicious jamuns and hope it ends with a sweet too...
I am linking this to my event Diwali Special. If you haven't linked yours here is the day as today is the last day for linking up the entries...



Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , ,