Zebra Cake (Eggless)

Zebra cake is a combination of vanilla and chocolate cakes and the pattern is got by pouring the batters in a pan alternately. I have been trying to get the perfect zebra pattern but I am very sad that I have not yet succeeded. Actually I wanted more of the vanilla batter and less of the chocolate batter so that the lines are clean and neat. So I divided the batter into 3 parts, one for the chocolate batter and 2 for the vanilla batter. Even then I ended up with this not so good looking zebra cake. Though I missed the pattern, the taste was awesome and my daughter fell for this cake. She was so happy that mom has finally made it. This is the final post for the Blogging Marathon # 32, under cooking with alphabets and bakes theme. Finally I am so happy that I have completed this marathon successfully and I need to thank Srivalli for this wonderful idea. The cake batter is my usual condensed milk vanilla cake batter. Once when I prepared this cake the chocolate was looking very dull. I couldn't understand why it was happening. And one day I tried a chocolate cake with instant coffee powder added to it and the cake came out so dark and chocolatey. And this time I added a teaspoon of Nescafe instant coffee powder and look at the colour of the chocolate portion. It is nice and dark and very very chocolatey..



Ingredients:
Maida / All Purpose Flour-250gm/ 2 cups
Condensed Milk-1 tin/ 400gm
Baking Powder-2 tsp
Baking Soda-1 tsp
Butter-1/2 cup/ 100gm
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp
Cocoa Powder-25 gm
Instant Coffee Powder-1 tsp
Milk-1 cup + 1/4 cup+ 2 tbs 

Procedure:
1. Cream together butter and condensed milk.
2. Add 1 cup of milk and vanilla essence and beat.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
4. Add this to the butter, milk mixture and fold in using a wooden spoon.
5. When the flour is completely incorporated, measure the batter. Mine came to around 1 kg.
6. Divide two portions one measuring 1/3 rd the weight and the other 2/3 rd the weight. 
7. I removed 300gm of batter to another bowl and left the remaining in the original bowl. You need not be very exact.
8. Now sift the cocoa powder and instant coffee powder into the 1/3rd portion.
9. Add 1/4 cup of milk and fold in the batter.
10. Add 2 tbs of milk to the vanilla batter and mix.
11. Grease and dust an 8" round pan.
12. Pour the batters alternately into the pan. Do not press the batter. Let it flow by it self.
13. Once all the batter is used up, bake the cake in a 180C preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
14. Check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, then remove the cake from the oven and let it sit on counter until it is easy to handle.
15. Flip it onto a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
16. Flip it back to a serving plate, slice and serve..





The chocolate batter



The vanilla batter.




Pour batters alternately.




The finished pattern looks like this.




Bake, cool and flip on a wire rack.




Slice it up. Who wants this piece???








Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Labels: , , , ,