Jam Blossoms

I have been very much inactive in the kitchen for the past two weeks. Even for the snacks to send for Sruti, I opted for store bought biscuits and snacks. Sruti has been pestering me for a home made snack and I thought I would prepare something for her. This Jam Blossoms recipe is from King Arthur Flour and I had it bookmarked for long since the day this BM #32 was announced. I have a spread sheet online and I update it with the recipes to be done. Though I have finished cooking half the recipes, I am yet to prepare the other half. So I had to get back to baking so that I can successfully finish off this Blogging Marathon. I first thought of making jam at home but then I just went and bought a small box of Kissan mixed fruit jam to make life easier. When I saw the original recipe, I didn't have any idea why this cookies was called as blossoms. But when I prepared it I just knew it. When you press the dough the cracks appear making the cookies look like small flowers and the jam enhances the look of the cookies. These are quite easy to prepare and are ready within 30 minutes. Preheat your oven before starting on the dough and it when the cookies are ready your oven will also be ready for baking. Sruti enjoyed it very much and took it to her school for three days continuously. 




Recipe Source: King Arthur's Flour
Ingredients:
Icing Sugar-1/2 cup
Butter-1/2 cup
Salt-1/4 tsp
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp
Almond Extract-1/4 tsp
Flour-1 cup
Jam-1/2 cup

Procedure:
1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add the extracts and mix well.
3. Mix together salt and flour in another bowl.
4. Add it to the butter mixture and mix to form a crumbly dough.
5. Pinch out small portions of the dough and roll it into a ball.
6. Place the balls on a greased baking tray spacing 2" between the dough balls.
7. With a flat bowl press the balls to make a 1/4" cookie.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies start browning at the bottom.
9. Remove from oven and with a small bottle lid press the still soft cookies in the middle to make a small indentation. You need to work fast because when the cookies cool down they become crisp.
10. Place a dollop of jam into the indentation and allow the cookies to cool completely.
11. Store it in a single layer in a large air tight box.
12. Enjoy!!!





Cream together sugar, butter and extracts.




Add flour to the creamed mixture.




Make a crumbly dough.




Make small balls out of the dough and place them on a greased tray.




With a flat bowl press the ball into a cookie. See how the cracks make the cookie like a flower.




Once baked, with a small cap press the soft cookies in the middle.




You can see the indentations in the cookies. 



Add a dollop of jam in the centre. Allow it to cool completely.



Serve and Enjoy!!!!



Aren't they cute???






Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Labels: , , , ,