Aval Vadai

Today after so much thought, I am starting Blogging Marathon #32, which is going to run the full month. I think I will never get out of losing my mom if I do not divert myself to some other thoughts. So finally I decided to do this month long marathon. I have been preparing the dishes for the past 4 months and getting ready for this BM. So whatever you see in my forthcoming posts are all prepared months before and I am just posting it now according to the theme. 

The theme Valli chose for this month long marathon is quite interesting. We need to post A-Z recipes. To make it more challenging, she also has given us four categories- Regional, International, Street Food and Baked. Every category must have minimum 6 posts and we will be preparing totally 26 recipes for this BM. Last time during April, there was a month long BM and I enthusiastically took part. But by one week, I had so many problems that I opted out of it. So to make this BM a success, I started preparing the dishes 4 months ago just when this BM was announced ( Valli announced it so early so that someone like me can prepare it in advance) I usually never ever plan my dishes. I do it on the day of posting (yeah! I am such a great planner!!!) and will be totally tensed. So this is the first time I have been planning. For the first day I am doing a regional dish with alphabet A. Aval / poha/ flattened rice is very easy to cook and we like it so much. This vada takes less than half an hour and it is apt for unannounced guests. It is very tasty. Usually Sruti is not very keen to eat vadas, but even she polished off her plate. This vada is not on the crispy side but is on the softer side. Serve it along with chutney or sauce and you will surely enjoy the evening.




Ingredients:
Aval/ Poha/ Flattened Rice-1 cup
Besan/ Gram Flour-1 cup
Onion -1 large
Red Chilly Powder-1/2 tsp ( adjust according to your taste)
Salt-to taste
Coriander Leaves-3 tbs
Oil- to deep fry

Procedure:
1. Wash ans soak aval in water. The aval must be just immersed in water. Do not add more water.
2. When the aval is soft ( in 5 minutes) grind it to a coarse mixture in a mixer grinder. Do not add water.
3. Take this in a bowl and add besan, salt, chopped onions, coriander leaves and red chilly powder.
4. Mix it well and if the dough is crumbly, add little water to bring it together. 
5. The dough should be little crumbly, but you should be able to make a ball out of it.
6. Divide it into 20 equal pieces and shape each into a ball.
7. Heat oil and when hot, place the dough ball in your palm, slightly flatten it and carefully drop it into the oil.
8. Deep fry until both sides are golden.
9. Drain and serve along with chutney or sauce.




Soak aval for 5 minutes.



Grind it to a coarse mixture.



Mix all the other ingredients.



Make lemon sized balls.



Flatten each ball.



Deep fry until golden.



Drain oil and transfer to a plate.



Serve with sauce or chutney..





Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32 <!-- end InLinkz script →\

Labels: , , , ,