Eggless Lemon Chiffon Cake

When Swathi announced the challenge for this month's Baking Partners, I was thinking of skipping it. The two cakes she gave are based completely on eggs. The chiffon cake and  The Russian Honey Cake are the cakes suggested by members. Saraswathi of Sara's Kitchen has suggested this chiffon cake which has so many egg yolks and egg whites. The texture of the cake depends mostly on how well we beat the egg whites. Though I wanted to skip this challenge at first, I really wanted to succeed in this challenge. So I searched the web for any egg less chiffon cake recipes and there was not a single recipe. Then I decide to try my hand with my own recipe. Recently I bough a egg re placer and I incorporated it in this recipe. And the cake didn't disappoint me. When it came out of oven it was hard to touch, but the next day it was so soft and moist , I just couldn't believe it. The only problem was I used a large cake tin and so the cake was missing the height. So for an 8" pan, the given recipe has to be doubled otherwise use a smaller pan to bake the given recipe. I served it along with the caramel sauce and my daughter loved it. And to my disbelief my hubby loved it so much that he finished off two slices at one go...  



Ingredients:
Dry Ingredients:
Flour-1 cup
Corn Flour-1/8 cup
Caster Sugar-3/4 cup+1 tbs
Salt-1/4 tsp
Baking Powder-3/4 tsp
Lemon Zest-1 tbs

Wet  Ingredients:
Oil-1/4 cup
Curd-1/3 cup
Water-1/3 cup
Lemon Juice-1 tbs
Vanilla-1/2 tsp

Organ Egg Replacer- ½ tbs heaped
Water-1 tbs

Procedure:

 1.         Mix together sugar and zest until finely incorporated.
2.       Add flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt and mix.
3.       Make a hole in the centre and add all the liquid ingredients and fold to make the batter.
4.       In another bowl whisk together the egg replacer and water until soft peaks form.
5.       Add it to the batter and fold until incorporated. Do not whisk rigorously.
6.       Grease and dust a tin.
7.       Preheat oven to 155C.
8.       Bake for 45-55 minutes.
9.       Test with a tooth pick.
10.   Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then flip it to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
11.   Once you take it from oven the crust looks very crispy. But once cool it softens a lot.
12.   Slice the cake after resting it overnight.
13.   Serve it as it is or with a sweet sauce.



Beat together all the wet ingredients.



Mix the dry ingredients.



Beat the egg re placer with water until soft peaks form.



Add it to the batter and gently fold.



Pour into a greased and dusted tin and bake.



It is better to serve it the next day as it becomes very soft and perfectly chiffon like..



Top with caramel sauce and serve..

Labels: , , , ,