Tofu Kurma

Tofu is a great substitute for Paneer and is power packed. It is made from the milk extracted from soy beans. I have prepared tofu at home. But as it is a lengthy process, I usually buy a pack of tofu whenever I visit the super market. I got bored of preparing butter masala with tofu. So when I bought this pack, I was thinking of a recipe which could go very well with dosa and finally ended planning this kurma. Thakkali kurma is my hubby's fav combination for dosas and I added tofu pieces to make it more tasty. But I didn't tell this to my daughter. She thought it was paneer and enjoyed it. Why spoil the scene by telling her that it was tofu? 


Ingredients:
For The Paste:
Tomato-4
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Garlic-5-6 pods

For The Gravy:
Oil-2 tbs
Cinnamon-a small stick
Cloves-3
Star Anise-1
Onion-2
Tofu-200 gm ( cut into cubes)
Salt-to taste
Sambar Powder-2 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. In a mixer jar grind tomatoes, coconut and garlic to a fine paste.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add the spices.
3. Add onions and saute until golden.
4. Add the ground paste and add enough water to make it a gravy.
5. Add the sambar powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt.
6. Pressure cook for 3 minutes.
7. Open the cooker, add the tofu pieces.
8. Let the gravy boil for 5 minutes on medium flame.
9. Add coriander leaves and serve it hot.


Labels: , ,