Hi Friends, Hope you have a lovely time going through my recipes. The recipes I post here are tested in my kitchen and only the successful recipes get featured in this blog. If you are trying any of my recipe, please stick to the measurements provided and follow the instructions to get the same result. Any deviation from the original recipe will result in a different output and I will not be responsible for the failure. And please don't use abusive words in comments. As I moderate them, they will never be published in this page. And all the photographs and contents are my property and if you want to use it in any of your websites, please make sure to give proper credit and take my permission before publishing. Thank you!!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kaalan Kulambu/ Mushroom Gravy

I am visiting Uzhvar Sandhai often and I am so happy to see all the fresh vegetables out there. I never miss a chance to buy the fresh green peas. There is also a vendor who sells mushroom and hot mushroom soup. We usually have a cup of the soup and when returning back will buy a pack of the fresh button mushrooms. I am really enjoying these trips and hubby had to forcibly move me away from the stalls. If not I will end up with two bags full of vegetables. Kaalan/ Mushroom is a favourite of hubby. I usually try to make many dishes with mushrooms and one of the dish is this gravy. This has a paste which is coconut based and this goes well with chapathi, paratha, parotta, idli, dosas and rice. I paired it up with fresh green peas from the sandhai and it was such a great combination for the Pudina chapathi I made for breakfast. 


Ingredients:
Button Mushrooms-200 gm
Green Peas-1 cup
Onion-2
Tomato-2
Pudina Powder-1 tbs (please click on the link for the preparation of pudina powder)
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 tsp
Salt-to taste
Oil-3 tbs
Cinnamon-a small stick
Clove-3
Star Anise-1
Black Cardamom-1
Coriander Leaves-4 tbs ( finely Chopped)

For The Paste:
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Garlic-5 pods
Ginger- a small piece

Procedure:
1. Grind coconut, garlic and ginger to a paste.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the spices.
3. When they crackle, add chopped onions.
4. Saute until golden.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes, pudina powder , turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and saute until it is cooked. 
6. Add the green peas and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Add the paste and enough water to make the gravy.
8. Pressure cook the gravy for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot along with any flat bread or rice or dosa.

14 comments:

  1. Best Combo with chapathis. Looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushroom is my all time favourite , I can eat them in any version.. Yummy and thick gravy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy. How to prepare pudina powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please check the link for preparation of pudina powder. http://gayathriskitchenbasics.blogspot.in/2013/01/homemade-dried-mint-pudina.html

      Delete
  4. lovely dip for chappathi :) simple and flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious and yummy mushroom and peas gravy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice side dish for roti... or paratha... lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious n awesome. Lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gravy looks rich n yum!!! But sadly, my people @ home don't prefer Mushrooms!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. veyr tongue tickling and aromatic!!! delicious curry!!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Breakfast
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting. Your comments are very valuable to me. So please feel free to comment on the post you read.

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...