Kaalaan Kulambu / Mushroom Gravy

As a vegetarian, I have never missed mutton, though I have tasted it until I was 20. But hubby some times asks for gravies which tastes like the mutton gravy which his mom used to make. I have never cooked with mutton. So I didn't know about the spice paste used to make that gravy. Once when we visited my aunt's place, she prepared a gravy with button mushrooms and hubby liked it very much. He told that it tasted just like the mutton gravy his mom made. So I asked my aunt for the recipe and tried it at home. Though the gravy was nice, it didn't taste like the gravy she made. After so many tries, I nailed it. When sisters-in-law visited our home last month, I prepared this gravy. They were amused. They told that it tasted just like the mutton gravy and they were so happy. So finally I got to satisfy my hubby and his sisters with the vegetarian version of their favourite gravy. The recipe is very simple and I think the combination of mushrooms and the spice paste renders the taste. It goes very well with chapathi as well as rice. If you are a vegetarian who was once a non vegetarian, you can try this to bring back forgotten memories. I am linking this to WTML guest hosted by Preeti and started by me.



Click For Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
Mushroom-200gm
Onion-1
Sambar Powder-1 1/2tsp
Salt-to taste
Oil-2 tbs
Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp
Fennel Seeds-1/2tsp
Clove-2
Cardamom-1
Coriander Leaves-3tbs

For The Spice Paste:

Oil-1tbs
Onion-2
Grated Coconut-2/3cup
Coriander Powder-1tsp
Cumin Powder-1/2tsp


Procedure:
For The Spice Paste:
1. Heat oil and add onions. Saute until golden.
2. Add the grated coconut and saute until aromatic.
3. Add the sauteed onions and coconut along with coriander and cumin powder in a mixer jar.
4. Add enough water and grind it to a smooth paste.

For The Gravy:
1. Heat oil and add fennel, cardamom and cloves.
2. When they crackle, add onions.
3. Saute until golden.
4. Add chopped mushrooms and saute for a minute.
5. Add the spice paste, salt, turmeric and enough water.
6. Bring it to boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add coriander leaves and cook for a minute.
8. Serve hot along with chapathi or rice.