Varo- Pistachio Almond Praline

Today is the first day of Blogging Marathon #21 Week 3. The reveal date for ICC this month was on 15th but I couldn't post it due to unavailability of internet connection. For ICC this month, Srivalli suggested that we select a recipe from the archive of the ICC blog. The first time I heard of Indian Cooking Challenge was when I saw the recipe for Varo - A Sindhi Sweet in so many blogs I followed. I became so interested by the concept of the challenge and I applied for a membership ( being very formal!!) and I was fortunately accepted by Srivali in the group. For so many days, I used to look at the recipe of varo but I was very much afraid to try it as it includes caramel in it. So when Valli asked us to try any recipe from previous challenges, my mind went to Varo and this time I didn't duck back. This may be technically difficult to read but when I started preparing, it felt like breeze. The praline came out so neat and perfect with a nice crunch. I loved working on the recipe and dared to double the original recipe. I am also posting this under Navrathri Sweets for the Blogging Marathon.


Recipe Source: Madhavi
Ingredients:
Sugar-250 gm/ 1 1/8 cup
Pistachio-75 gm/ 1/2 cup
Almonds-75 gm / 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
Cashew Nuts- 1/4 cup
Poppy Seeds-1/8 cup
Ghee-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. Chop the nuts coarsely.
2. Apply ghee on a marble counter or on the reverse of a plate.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee. Add sugar and keep it on low flame.
4. The sugar will start melting. Give a stir to make the melting uniform.
5. The melted sugar will change colour gradually to brown.
6. When lifted on a ladle, the caramel should look shining.
7. Add the chopped nuts, poppy seeds and cardamom powder immediately. Give a nice stir.
8. Pour the mixture on to the greased plate or the counter.
9. Roll it out with a greased rolling pin.
10. To get a smooth and shiny finish on top press it with a flat bowl in spiral movements.
11. When the varo is slightly cool, cut out with a sharp large knife.
12. If it is tough to cut, then place the knife on the varo and slightly hammer it with a rolling pin to cut.
13. Store in an air tight jar when completely cool.



Chop nuts.



Heat ghee and add sugar.



Heat until the caramel is brown.



Add the chopped nuts, poppy seeds and cardamom powder.



Pour the mixture on a greased plate or marble counter.



Press with a bowl to get a shiny finish.



Cut it vertically with a sharp large knife.



Cut it horizontally to get neat square pieces.



Enjoy!!

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 21

Labels: ,