Ginger Almond Biscuits

For the second day of Blogging Marathon, I chose to prepare ginger almond biscuits from Vaishali's blog. Almonds are good source of calcium. I was searching for the calcium content of almonds and I came across a site, which gave it as 37mg of calcium in 14.5gm of almonds. So it is better to include almonds in kid's diet.  My daughter likes almonds and so I selected this recipe. I had to try the recipe twice because the first time I didn't get it properly. Though the taste was nice and the biscuit was crispy, it was very flat. I used fresh ginger juice in the dough. I think the mistake I made was so much liquid in the dough and the shaped cookies spread out instead of raising. So in the next attempt, I used dry ginger powder and the biscuits turned out perfect. In this batch I made round biscuits with half the dough and square biscuits with half the dough. I prefer the traditional round cookies but the square ones were also good to look at. The flavour of ginger was prominent in the first batch. Some how I ended up with a box full of crispy crunchy cookies. 



Recipe Source: Vaishali
Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-1cup
Castor Sugar-3/4cup
Chopped Almonds-1/4cup
Baking Powder-1/4tsp
Butter-50gm
Ginger Powder-1tsp (I used 1/2tsp but couldn't get the flavour)
Milk-2-3tbs

Procedure:
1. In a bowl, mix butter, sugar, ginger powder and baking powder.
2. Beat until creamy.
3. Add the chopped almonds and flour to the mixture and mix well. It will resemble bread crumbs.
4. Add milk 1/2 tbs at a time and bring the dough together. You may not use the whole milk.
5. To get a perfect crunch, the dough should be crumbly and when pinched together, it should stay together.
6.  Pinch out small ball out of the dough, roll into a small ball and gently press to make a round biscuit.
7. You can also place a whole almond in the middle of the biscuit.
8. Preheat oven to 180C.
9. Line a baking tray with butter paper.
10. Place the shaped biscuits on the tray 2cm apart.
11. Place the tray in the middle rack and bake for 15-20minutes or until golden.
12. Cool on wire rack and store in airtight jar.
13. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.


My first batch gone completely flat but yet crispy and delicious.



Square biscuits from second batch.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#19


Labels: , , , , , , , ,