Idli Upma

Idli upma is one of the great ways to use the leftover idlis. Mom used to prepare this often and it was my favourite during school days. After marriage I completely forgot about it. This makes a great filling dish when your kid comes home after school. When I asked hubby whether he wanted idli upma for evening, he told that he has never tasted it. Only he knows it from the Tamil movie Suryavamsam in which the heroine prepares it for her dad and it was a very emotional scene. I teased him a little and prepared this one day. I also serve him with coconut chutney. My daughter has not yet grown to appreciate this dish but this is my school time favourite. Today is the final week of Blogging Marathon which runs for three days. I am posting under Kid's Delight-Evening Snacks and Tiffin started by Srivalli and hosted by Vardini Koushik. I am also  linking this to Walk Through Memory Lane Event started by me and hosted by Pradnya. This is very easy to make and if you have idlis remaining after breakfast, you can make it in 10minutes. Kids will surely enjoy this as I did.



Ingredients:
Crumbled Idli-3cups
Onion-2
Green Chilly-3
Oil-1tbs
Mustard Seeds and Urad Dhal-1tsp
Curry Leaves-a sprig
Coriander Leaves-3tbs
Channa Dhal-2tbs
Idli Milagai Podi-1-2tbs(according to your taste)
Salt-to taste
Grated Coconut-4tbs


Procedure:
1. Crumble the idlis coarsely.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add channa dhal.
3. When it turns golden add mustard and urad dhal.
4. When they crackle, add curry leaves, onion and green chillies.
5. Saute until golden.
6. Add salt and idli milagai podi and mix well.
7. Add the crumbled idli and coriander leaves. Give a nice mix.
8. Add grated coconut, remove from stove, mix and serve hot.
Please check out the other marathoners running this 17th edition of blogging marathon here.  

Labels: , , , , , ,