Mixed Sprout Flour Biscuits

Last week K bought home a product from organic store. It was called as sattu flour(this is not the Bihari Sattu) which had sprouted grains and nuts. It was actually prepared as porridge/ kanji. If taken regularly instead of breakfast, it helps in weight reduction ( a very necessary product for us). I prepared kanji one fine day, but hated the taste. I didn't know what to do with that flour because, I will never prepare kanji with that again. Again when I visited the organic store, there were some biscuit packs on the shelf. When I enquired about them, the seller told that they are prepared from the sattu flour, which K bought. So when I returned home, K asked me to try out biscuits with the flour. First I tried biscuits using nattu sakkarai/ brown sugar and olive oil and the biscuits came out soft and chewy. As we are not great fans of chewy biscuits, I tried again with white sugar and butter, the result was exactly what I expected. Though kids didn't like the taste of the sattu flour, K enjoyed it and he asked me to prepare it again. So an experiment succeeded and I could make some healthy biscuits.



Ingredients:
Sattu Flour-1 1/2cups (you can use any sattu flour available in the market)
Baking Powder-1/4tsp
Salt-a pinch
Cold Butter-1/2cup
Granulated Sugar-1/2cup
Vanilla Essence-1tsp
Milk-1/4cup


Procedure:
1. Grind sugar to a fine powder.
2. Mix it with the sattu flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Add cubed chilled butter and mix it with finger tips until the flour resembles crumbs.
4. Add milk and vanilla and mix.
5. Add this milk to the flour and knead into a soft dough.
6. Wrap it up in a cling wrap and refrigerate until firm.
7. Sprinkle sattu flour on the counter and place the dough on top. Dust it again with flour.
8. Roll it into a circle of 1/2"thickness.
9. Cut it into desired shapes using biscuit cutter.
10. Preheat oven to 160C.
11. Grease a baking tray with butter. Arrange the cut dough on the tray.
12. Place it in the middle shelf and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the base is brown.
13. Remove the ray from oven and transfer the biscuits carefully to a wire rack immediately. Otherwise the biscuits will continue baking from the heat of the tray.
14. While hot the biscuits may look soft but when cool it becomes crispy and flaky.
15. Store in airtight jar and enjoy.


Labels: , , , , , ,