This is the second challenge given by Jason to the daring bakers. It is the Armenian Nazook/ Nazouk/ Nazuk. It is a yeasted, layer pastry filled with a sweet filling. The outer dough is made of an yeasted dough and the filling has sugar, butter and flour in it. While baking the nazooks, there was a power failure and we got power after 1hour. So I baked them again and they became very crispy. They were also flaky and very delicious. My daughter liked it very much. She also took three pieces to school to share it with her friends. K also took it to office and shared it with his colleagues.
For The Pastry Dough:
Instant Yeast-1 1/4tsp
For The Filling:
1. Mix all the ingredients given for the pastry dough. Knead for 10minutes.
2. If the flour is very sticky, dust it with a little flour.
3. Cover the dough with cling wrap and place the bowl in fridge overnight.
4. Mix all the ingredients given for the filling. It will look clumpy. Set it aside.
5. Preheat oven to 175C.
6. Remove dough from fridge and knead for 2 minutes.
7. Divide it into 2 equal parts.
8. Dust the counter with flour and roll out the portion into a thin rectangle.
9. Divide the filling into two.
10. Spread one part of the filling evenly on the rolled rectangle.
11. Start rolling from the longer end and roll it into a tight log.
12. Pat it a little to flatten.
13. Cut into 10 equal pieces.
14. repeat the same process for the remaining dough and filling.
15. Arrange the pieces on a greased baking tray.
16. Brush the top with milk and bake until golden brown.
17. Cool on wire rack and serve
Divide the dough into two
Roll out into a rectangle and spread the filling evenly
Roll into a log
Cut into 10
arrange on a baking tray and bake
Cool and serve