Palak Dhokla

I am now experimenting with greens. My hubby yesterday told my daughter that her mommy is cooking everything green! Even my daughter loves the green coloured dishes. I used Palak to make this delicious dhokla. While I was going through a hand written recipe book which I used during college days, I saw the recipe for dhokla. I think, I wrote it down after watching a cookery show. The recipe was incomplete. I adapted the basic recipe to prepare this green dokla.


Ingredients:
Besan-1cup
Palak-1bunch
Water-1/2cup+1/4cup
Baking Soda-3/4tsp
Citric Acid-1/2tsp
Salt-to taste
Green Chilly-2/3
Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp
Coriander Leaves-3tbs
Grated Coconut-3tbs
Oil-2tsp
Mustard-1/2tsp
Hing-1/4tsp
Curry Leaves-1 sprig

Procedure:
1. Boil palak in 1/4cup water for a minute.
2. Grind it to a smooth puree. It should measure 1/2cup. If not add water to make it 1/2cup.
3. Add salt, citric acid and turmeric powder to the palak puree and mix well.
4. Add this to the besan and mix.
5. Dissolve the baking soda in a tsp of water.
6. Add 1/2 cup of water to the besan mix and prepare a smooth batter.
7. Add the baking soda water and mix well. Now the batter will be fluffy.
8. Pour into a greased square tin and steam cook for 12-15 minutes.
9. Make sure that it is cooked by inserting a tooth pick and see whether it comes out clean.
10. Allow it to cool.
11. Loosen the sides with a sharp knife and flip it on to a serving plate.
12. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Add finely chopped green chillies and saute till aromatic.
13. Pour this oil evenly on the dhokla.
14. Sprinkle grated coconut and coriander leaves on top.
15. Slice it up and serve.

The palak puree with citric acid and turmeric powder


Add it to beasn


Mix water and baking soda to get a fluffy batter. Pour into a greased tin


Steam cook until done


Add the mustard and green chillies. Sprinkle coriander and coconut.


Slice it up and serve

Labels: , ,