Thumb print cookies get its name from the indent made with thumb in the centre of the cookies. The indent is then filled with jam and baked. But nowadays, a blunt end of an object is used to make the indent. I used the back side of a pen to make the indent. I saw a recipe for chocolate thumb print cookies in The Hindu last week. I adapted that recipe and made some changes to make this delicious cookie. It is very a crispy and flaky cookie. The cookie dough is coated with granulated sugar and it looks very cute. My nieces and my daughter liked it very much.
Maida/ All Purpose Flour-2 2/3cups
1. Cream sugar and butter until fluffy.
2. Add in the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
3. Mix salt and flour in a separate bowl.
4. Add the flour to the butter mixture and mix well to form a soft dough.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Roll into 1" balls.
7. Place the rolls on a butter paper lined baking tray 2" apart.
8. With a blunt rod, make an indent in the middle of the ball.
9. Fill it with diluted jam.
10. Preheat oven to 175C.
11. Bake for 10-12minutes. Cool on wire rack and store in an airtight jar.
12. The cookies may look soft when hot but will become crispy once cool.
|Prepare dough and refrigerate|
|Use a blunt object to make an indent in the middle of the ball|
|The ball should look like this|
|Fill it with diluted jam|
|Bake for 10-12minutes|
|Serve and Enjoy|