Wish You All A Very Happy Diwali
I have already posted a paruppu urundai kulambu recipe. But today's recipe is completely different from the previous one. My mom used to prepare urundai with channa dhal and we used coconut in the gravy. She also deep fries the balls and add it to the gravy. My method is slightly different from her's. She had a lot of fans for that particular gravy. This gravy is a tamarind based one and uses toor dhal and goes very well with rice and dosas. The gravy was so delicious and we had a hearty lunch.
For the Paruppu Urundai:
For The Gravy:
Tamarind-gooseberry sized ball
Curry Leaves-a sprig
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1tsp
1. Soak dhal for 2 hours.
2. Drain water completely and grind it along with cumin, fennel, red chilly and salt to a coarse mixture. Do not add water.
3. Add rice flour and half of the finely sliced onions. Knead it and divide into 10-12equal sized balls.
4. Heat oil and splutter ustard and urad dhal. Add hing and curry leaves.
5. Add remaining onions and saute till golden.
6. Add tomatoes and cook until mushy.
7. Soak tamarind in water and extract juice. Add this to the onion.
8. Add sambar powder, salt and turmeric. Add generous amount of water.
9. When it starts boiling add the balls one by one. Add one and wait until it floats. Then add the next ball.
10. When finished adding all the balls, simmer until the balls are completely cooked and the gravy thickens.
11. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Sending this to MLLA-40 guest hosted by Suma and started by Susan.