Vaangi Baath / Eggplant Rice / Kathrikkai Saadam

My mom used to prepare Vaangi Baath. I never asked about the preparation. I like it very much. When I bought a brinjal from the stores, I was thinking about today's menu. Suddenly I remembered Vaangi Baath. I called my mom and asked for the recipe and prepared it for today's lunch. Though it didn't come out as tasty as my mom's, it was good. H liked it and had two servings of it. I served it along with roasted papad. The amount given for the thokku can be used to prepare vaangi baath using 1/2kg of rice. As we don't need that much rice, I prepared it with 250gm of rice and refrigerated the remaining thokku.




Ingredients:
Basmathi Rice-500gm  ( If using lesser rice, then refrigerate the remaining thokku)
Brinjal/ Eggplant-250gm (I used one brinjal which weighed 250gm)
Onion-2
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2tsp
Salt-to taste
Till Oil-1/3cup
Soya Nuggets-1/8cup (soak in hot water for 15minutes)
For the Spice Powder:
Groundnut-2tbs
Channa Dhal-2tbs
Coriander Seeds-1tsp
Mustard-1/4tsp
Methi Seeds-1/4tsp
Red Chilly-4-5
Asafoetida-1/4tsp


Procedure:
1. Using 1/2tsp oil, roast the ingredients given for the spice powder and grind it to a fine powder.
2. Heat oil and splutter mustard and urad dhal.
3. Add onion and saute till golden brown.
4. Cut brinjal into small pieces and add it to the onions.
5. Add soya nuggets, turmeric powder, salt and 1/4cup of water and cook it with the pan coverd. Keep flame at low.
6. Cook it until brinjal can be mashed.
7. With a flat ladle, mash the brinjal and cook it till the water has been evaporated.
8. Add the spice powder and stir for 1 minute.
9. Switch off stove and allow to cool.
10. Cook rice with 3cups of water. Let it cool.
11. Now mix the thokku with the rice without breaking the rice.
12. Set it aside for 1 hour for the flavour to emerge into the rice.
13. Serve it with papad.

I am sending this as an entry to 
My Mother's Kitchen- One Pot Meals by Kalyani
Food Pallette Series-Purple at Torview

Labels: , , ,