Sweet Mango Pickle / Maangai Pachadi

My mom used to prepare this pickle. I used to eat it as it is as if it is Mango Halwa. It is very delicious. It has a combination of tastes. You can relish the sweetness of brown sugar, tanginess of the mango and hotness of red chilly powder. The season for the mango pickle I have already posted is gone. Now the raw mango we get in stores is sweet and yellowish in colour (Kalla Maangai). They are not firm and they are not fully raw. This type of mangoes are good for sweet pickles. So I tried to recreate what my mom prepared. I think I succeeded. The taste took me back to the days spent with my Mom and Dad.




Ingredients:
Mango-1
Brown Sugar-4tbs
Salt-1/2tsp
Till Oil-4tbs
Mustard Seeds-1tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp


Procedure:
1. Remove the skin of mango with a peeler and grate it. I got 1 1/2cups of the grated mango.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard. Add the grated mango and cook on low flame.
3. Stir it continuous because it tends to stick a lot.
4. When the mixture leaves the sides and stops sticking tho the kadai, add salt and red chilly powder.
5. Mix it on medium flame for a minute.
6. Add grated brown sugar and mix well. 
7. Cook till the mixture leaves the sides.
8. Switch off flame and allow it to cool.
9. Store in pickle jar. Keep it refrigerated after a day.


Grated Mango

Labels: ,