This is the baked version of the donuts. I used flax meal instead of egg and so it had a nutty texture. It tasted great when warm. We enjoyed it with our evening tea. The procedure is quite simple. My hubby hates cinnamon in baked items. So I used cardamom and it gave an Indian touch to the donuts. Hope you all like it.
Instant Yeast/ Active Dry Yeast-1 1/4tsp
Flax Meal-1tbs(mixed with 3tbs warm water)
Cardamom Powder- 1/4tsp
1. Mix flax meal and warm water and set it aside for 15 minutes.
2. Mix butter, milk, sugar, flax meal and yeast. Add salt and stir well.
3. Mix flour and cardamom powder. Add the wet ingredients to the flour and knead into a soft dough.
4. Knead for 10minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
5. Oil a bowl, place the dough inside and rotate to coat the dough with oil.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and set it aside for 1hour.
7. Punch down dough and roll into a circle of 1/4"thickness.
8. Cut out the circles with a donut cutter or a bowl.
9. Transfer circles to a baking tray lined with foil and lightly greased.
10. Now cut out the inner circle. If you cut it on the counter, then the shape will be lost when transferring the donut to the tray. So cut the inner circle after placing it on the tray.
11. Cover with a clean cloth and let it rise for 45minutes.
12. Preheat oven to 180C.
13. Bake the donuts for 10-12minutes or until the top is golden brown.
14. Remove from oven, brush the top with ghee.
15. Mix sugar and cardamom powder in a plate.
16. After brushing with butter, place the donut upside down on the plate to coat the top with sugar.
17. Serve warm.
|Mix flour and cardamom powder.|
|Mix butter, milk, sugar, flax meal and salt|
|Mix everthing to form a soft dough. Knead for 10minutes|
|After 1 hour rise|
|Roll into a circle|
|Cut out the outer shape|
|Cut the inner round after placing on the tray|
|After 45 minutes rise|
|Brush with butter when done|
|Coat it with a layer of sugar|