Kozhukkattai (Using Parboiled Rice)

Today is the third day of the Blogging Marathon. Yesterday I returned from Coimbatore to Madurai. My camera has let me down. So today I am posting with the help of a dish I prepared so long ago and the pictures of which were lying in my draft folder. I don’t know what I am going to do tomorrow. 
Kozhukkattai is a very famous Indian sweet which is also called as modak or modakam. The outer dough is prepared with rice flour and the sweet filling varies according to personal taste. Today I am using fried gram and coconut as filling. Another famous filling is channa dhal filling. My mom always prepares channa dhal filling. My MIL prepares this fried gram filling. Both are equally good, but I am a great fan of channa dhal filling.
Both raw rice and parboiled rice can be used for the upper dough. I have given the recipe for parboiled rice dough. I will be giving the recipe for raw rice dough in another post. Par boiled rice is soaked and ground to a thick batter and is cooked on stove top to get this soft dough for kozhukkattai. The filling is very simple to prepare. My hubby liked it so much.





Ingredients:
Parboiled Rice-1/2cup
Refined oil-2tsp
Fried Gram-1/2cup
Sugar-1/2cup
Grated Coconut-2tbs
Cardamom Powder-1/4tsp
Ghee-1/2tsp
Broken Cashew-2tbs

Procedure:
1. In a mixer grinder, grind fried gram and sugar to a fine powder.
2. In a small pan, heat ghee and fry the cashew pieces till golden brown. Add it to the fried gram and sugar mixture.
3. Add cardamom powder and grated coconut to the mixture. Mix well. Filling is ready.
4. Soak parboiled rice for 4hours.
5. Grind it to idli batter consistency.
6. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the batter to it. Stir the mixture until it leaves the sides.
7. Place it on a plate and let it cool. Cover with a wet towel to avoid formation of skin on top.
8. When cool, knead it to soft dough. Pinch small amount of the dough and roll into balls.
9. Apply oil in your palm to avoid sticking of the dough.
10. Shape a ball into a circle by pressing the ball with your fingers.
11. Keep 1 or 2 tbs of the filling in the centre and fold the circle over to form a half moon shape.
12. Press edges together to seal. Pinch along the edge of the kozhukkattai to for design as shown in photo tutorial.
13. Arrange them on a greased idli plate and steam cook for 10minutes.
14. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
15. Serve.


Photo Tutorial:

Prepare soft dough

Roll into equal sized balls

Press the ball with fingers to shape into a circle

Prepared circle

Keep filling in the centre

Fold over and press the edge

Pinch along the dege

Arrange on greased idli plate and steam cook

Serve

Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me  
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: AarthiDivyaJayashreeKaveriPavani
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:GayathriPriya Suresh
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika, 
Seven Days of Regional Specials:HariniVaishali, SumaPJ 
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani 
Summer Coolers: Jayasree, KamalikaSrivalli

Labels: , , ,