Vadumaangai Oorugai / Maavadu

This is the second year I am preparing this delicious, droolworthy pickle. I learnt this from my mom. Mom usually doesn't measure any ingredient. Even then the final product will turn out delicious. So when I ask for the recipe, she didn't give me accurate measurements. I have to do some experimenting and measuring to write down a recipe for the blog. This is one such recipe. 
Last year I wrote down the measurements but I lost that paper. So I had to start from the beginning for this year. After I finished preparing this pickle, I found the paper in which I wrote the recipe last year. Both recipes were near or less equal in measurements. Pickle came out super tasty.
This is a very traditional recipe which my mom learnt from a friend when residing at Pondicherry.  Every year mom used to prepare 2-3 large jars of this pickle and she used to distribute it among family and friends. These happened during my childhood days. When the pickle came out nice, I was so happy. 
This pickle should be consumed atleast after 20days so that the mangoes will absorb the saaru and become flavourful. Even the bitter taste of mustard used will be gone after 20days. This recipe is a real keeper. Hope this will be useful for my daughter in the future.
Maavadu is the first to come to market when mango season starts. This is a very short period. When mangoes come to market, maavadu will be out of market. I usually keep a keen eye on vendors who sell maavadu. When it starts arriving i buy it immediately. If bought after 4 or 5 days the size of the mangoes will become bigger and the it will not taste that great. When buying, make sure the mangoes are firm. 



Ingredients:
Vadumaangai (baby mangoes)-1kg
Mustard-75gm
Red Chilly-150gm
Water-7cups
Citric acid-1tsp
Salt-1/3cup
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Till oil-3tbs


Procedure:
1. Wash the mangoes and pat them dry using a clean towel.
2. Add oil to the mangoes and mix it thoroughly. Make sure that all the mangoes are coated with oil. Prepare this in a plastic or ceramic jar.
3. Add salt to water and bring it to boil. Allow it to cool.
4. Once cool pour the water over the mangoes.
5. Close and leave it for 2-3 days. Stir once daily. The mangoes should change colour.
6. When all the mangoes are slightly brownish, it is time to prepare the paste.
7. Grind mustard and red chillies to a fine powder. Then add the salt water which was used to soak the mangoes. Grind into a fine paste. 
8. Add this paste to the mangoes. Add citric acid and turmeric powder. Mix well.
9. Keep the jar in sun light.
10. Do this for two or three days.
11. Then just close the lid and leave the pickle alone for 10-15 days. 
12. The most important fact is this pickle is very delicate and even a drop of water can spoil it. So use a dry spoon to take pickle. 
13. While using, transfer small amount of the pickle to another jar and use.
14. Do not keep the main jar open for long.
15. If you are careful in maintaining, this pickle will last for a year.

Photo Tutorial:


Wash and pat the mangoes dry. Add oil


Add boiled and cooled salt water and let it stay for 2-3 days

Make a paste of mustard and red chillies

Add the paste and other ingredients to the mangoes. 

 Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing Group 3 BM#4 along with me 
Diabetes Diet/Management: Kamalika, Smitha, Suma 
Kid Friendly Recipes: Anusha, Cool Lassi(e) 
Seven Days of Soup: Priya Suresh 
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Jayasree, Pavani 
Seven Days of Cakes:  Priya Vasu 
Seven Days of Preserves: Vaishali 
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Mahadevan, Srivalli

Labels: , ,