Thengai / Coconut Burfi

Coconut burfi is a delicious sweet. My mom used to prepare it often. Every time I prepare these burfis, I am always confused about the stage at which I have to switch off stove to get perfect burfis. But every time I get it correct. Even then I don't have confidence and I would call all the deities for my help. I love preparing sweets, but am afraid to eat them because I am always trying to reduce my weight. So I tasted one burfi, gave one to my hubby and packed everything to his colleagues. They liked it so much. They even ask my hubby to start a bakery because his wife (That is me!!!) is so good at preparing sweets and bakes. I am so happy for their feedback.



Ingredients:
Grated Coconut-2cups(tightly packed)
Sugar-2cups
Water-1/2cup
Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
Ghee-1tsp
Pista-5


Procedure:
1. In a heavy bottomed pan take all the ingredients except ghee and pistas.
2. Mix well and switch on flame.
3. Stirring is very important in burfi making. If you leave it for 2 seconds, it will get burnt.
4. The sugar will dissolve in water and the mixture will start boiling.
5. Stir it continuous until water evaporates and there are very few bubbles in the mixture.
6. You will see white coloured foaming at the edge of the mixture(that is nothing but sugar).
7. At the stage when the foaming is more and no water bubbles, add ghee, give it a nice stir and pour into a plate greased with ghee. With the back of a greased spoon level the top. Sprinkle slivered pistas on top.
8. When the mixture hardens slightly, cut it into small squares with a sharp knife.
9. Allow it to cool completely.
10. Cut the burfis deep  and separate it carefully.
11. Store in airtight jars. 
12. This will be good for 2 days without refrigeration.


Photo Tutorial:


Mix the ingredients in a heavy bottomed pan.

Let it come to boil

When there are no bubbles it is the perfect stage to switch off flame

Pour into a tray and cut into squares

Remove burfis when completely cool

Enjoy

Labels: , , ,