Eggless Dates and Pumpkin Seeds Cake

Today is a special day for me. I am posting my 200th post. When I started the blog, I thought that I will not even cross the 100 posts mark. But today I couldn't beleive that I have completed 200 posts. So in order to celebrate, I prepared this cake. Nowadays, I have started cooking with tofu and pumpkin seeds. I incorporated both in this recipe along with dates. Another important thing about this cake is that it is butter free. I prepared it with olive oil. Only the butter cream has butter in it. If you want a butterless cake, you can skip the butter cream part and serve the cake as it is. This is a spiced cake and it was so soft and firm and very tasty. If anyone doesn't like the spice, then you can substitute it with vanilla extract. My hubby didn't like the spice taste. But he liked it along with the butter cream. 




Today is the fourth day of Blogging Marathon. Take a look at my blogger friends who are running along with me.
30 Minutes Meals: Gayathri Anand
Baked Goods: Monika
For On Going Events: Usha
Kids Friendly: PJ, Savitha, Smitha, Srivalli, Veena Aravind 
Rice Varieties: Champa, Divya, Padma


Ingredients:
Flour-125gm
Pumpkin Seeds-50gm
Olive oil-50ml
Sugar-175gm
Powdered Cinnamon-1tsp
Baking Powder-1tsp
Soda-1tsp
Tofu-1/4cup
Dates-75gm
Warm Water-175ml
Salt-a pinch


Procedure:
1. Grind the pumpkin seeds to a fine powder.
2. Mix flour, pumpkin seed powder, cinnamon, baking powder, sodium- bi-carb, salt thoroughly with a whisk.
3. Chop dates and add warm water and let it stand for 10minutes.
4. Beat powdered sugar and oil. Add tofu and dates along with water.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Grease a 8" cake tin and dust with flour.( I used a rectangular and heart tin)
7. Pour in the prepared batter into the tins.
8. Preheat oven to 180C.
9. Bake for 20minutes.
10. When a tooth pick inserted comes out clean, remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
11. Decorate and serve. For frosting and decoration tutorial please refer my Vanilla cake.


Photo Tutorial:
Add all the dry ingredients


Mix well

Soak chopped dates in warm water

Mix all the wet ingredients

Add the dry ingredients and mix

Pour in the prepared tins

Bake

Apply butter cream on the first layer and keep the other layer on top

Apply crumb coating

Apply the frosting
Smoothen the icing with a plain tissue

Decorate
For the exact method of frosting a cake refer my Vanilla Cake Recipe

I am sending this to the following events:
Only Original Recipes hosted by Niveditha and started by Pari
Crazy For Cakes by Priya Mahadevan

Labels: , , , , , , ,