Barley Buttermilk Biscuits

I had a pack of barley and didn't know what to do with that. When Priya mentioned that barley flour can be prepared at home, I wanted to try it. You can powder barley in your mixer grinder. Just sieve the flour and grind it again until all the barley grains are powdered. Barley has a low gluten value. So the dough will not be like the ordinary wheat flour or maida. To get nice biscuits I added a small amount of wheat flour. The biscuits were very crispy. I prepared them without chilly powder because my daughter will not eat it. If you like hot biscuits, add chilly powder.I liked the taste but I am waiting for my hubby and daughter to arrive to give the verdict.
Sending this to WWC- Barley For Breakfast hosted by Priya and started by Sanjeetha



Ingredients:
Barley Flour-3/4cup
Wheat Flour-1/4cup
Baking Powder-1tsp
Salt-1/4tsp
Cumin Powder-1/4tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp(optional)
Kasoori Methi-1tsp
Butter-2tbs
Buttermilk-1/3cup


Procedure:
1. Grind barley in mixer grinder and sieve the flour. Measure 3/4th cup.
2. Add wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cumin powder and kasoori methi and mix well.
3. Add butter and mix it well until the flour resembles crumbs.
4. Add the buttermilk and prepare a soft dough.
5. Roll out the dough into a thick round(about 1/4cm)
6. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter.
7. Arrange on a foil lined baking tray.
8. Preheat oven to 175C.
9. Bake for 15-20minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. 
11. Enjoy with coffee.



Labels: , ,