Eggless Pumpkin Pie

When I prepared pumpkin puree, I collected some recipes which use it as the main ingredient. One of those recipes is the pumpkin pie. But the recipe I had bookmarked used eggs. I wanted to make it eggless.I took the recipe for the crust from the site and prepared my own filling. The crust was so crispy and buttery. As for the filling, it didn't set even after 1 1/2 hours. I was so afraid that it would spoil the whole pie. But after cooling, when I sliced the pie, the filling was soft but firm and it did hold its shape. I was very much delighted as it tasted great. I had some guests yesterday, and I treated them with this delicious pie. So happy about an experiment which succeeded.



Recipe Source: rwood
Ingredients:
Crust:
Wheat Flour-1cup
Salt-1/4tsp
Very Cold Butter-1/3cup+1tbs
Cold Butter-2-3tbs


Filling:
Homemade Pumpkin Puree-1cup
Fresh Cream-1/3cup
Paneer-30gm
Tofu-30gm
Sugar-1/3+1/6cup
Sweetened Khova-1tbs
Powdered Cinnamon-1/2tsp
Powdered Mace-a pinch


Procedure:
1. Take the flour on the counter. Add the cold butter on top of it. Mix it with finger tips. Once all the butter is completely incorporated into the flour, add 2tbs water to bring everything together.
2. Make the dough into flat disc, wrap it in a plastic wrap and keep it in a fridge for 15minutes.
3. Mix all the ingredients given for the filling in a bowl.
4. Roll out the dough into a flat circle on the wrap. 
5. Grease a circular 6"cake tin(as I didn't have a pie mould, I used the cake tin) with butter.
6. Place the rolled out dough carefully into the tin.( the dough is extremely brittle) Patch it up if necessary.
7. Trim the edge and make impressions along the edge with a fork.
8. Fill it with the prepared filling.
9. Cover with an aluminium foil. This is to avoid blackening of the crust and the top of filling.
10. Preheat oven to 200C.
11. Bake the pie for 15 minutes. 
12. Reduce temperature to 175C and continue baking for 1 hour.
13. Remove from oven and let it cool.
14. Slowly invert on your hand and flip it again fast and place it on a serving plate. 
15. Cut into pieces and serve.


Photo Tutorial:


Take butter,flour and salt on counter.
Mix with fingertips until the flour resembles crumbs


Add water and bring the dough together


Flatten into a disc and cover with wrap and refrigerate


Roll on the wrap


transfer to the tin, trim and decorate edges


Fill with the pumpkin filling (I used two small tart moulds for the extra dough)


Serve
This is the sixth day of the week long marathon we are running. Check out the 26 blogger friends running along with me!
Azeema, Bhagi, ChampaGayathriAnand,  Harini,JayKamalikaMeenaMinaPadmaPavani,  PJPriyaMahadevan,PriyaSureshPriyaVasuRujutaSantoshSaraswathiSavitha,ShanaviSmithaSowmyaSumaUshaVeena  Srivalli

Labels: , , , , ,