Badusha

When Jayashri announced Blogger Marathon with Raks Kitchen for this fortnight, I remembered the badushah recipe I saw there. Badushah is my favourite sweet from childhood days. When I started cooking, I wanted to prepare it at home. Some recipes I tried didn't give the expected result. When I saw the photos in Raji's blog, I wanted to try it. Now I got a chance to try. It came out so nice. Raji has also included two you tube videos demonstrating the method of spiralling the edges. It was very useful. I have included some pictures demonstrating the method. I followed Raji's recipe exactly except for the syrup. I have a book in which the badushas are dipped twice in the syrup. I followed that method which I will explain in the procedure part. I am sending this as an entry to Jayashri's event Blogger's Marathon
Today is the final day of the week long Blogging Marathon. I learnt a lot in these 7 days. Hope Valli calls for another Marathon. I will be very glad to participate. Check out the 26 blogger friends running along with me!
Azeema, Bhagi, ChampaGayathriAnand,  Harini,JayKamalikaMeenaMinaPadmaPavani,  PJPriyaMahadevan,PriyaSureshPriyaVasuRujutaSantoshSaraswathiSavitha,ShanaviSmithaSowmyaSumaUshaVeena  Srivalli





Ingredients:
For the badusha:
Flour-1 1/2cups
Butter-1/4cup
Oil-1/8cup
Sugar-1/2tsp
Curd-1 1/2tsp
Baking Soda-2 pinches
Water-1/4cup
Oil-For deep frying


For the syrup:
Sugar-3/4cup
Water-3/4cup
Cardamom powder-2pinches
Lime Juice-1 tsp


Procedure:
1. Melt butter and add oil,sugar, soda and curd.
2. Whisk to make it frothy.
3. Add the flour and mix it with a for. The resultant flour will be crumbly.
4. Add water to make it a soft dough. If needed add a little more water. Knead it for 10minutes to make it smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 9 equal balls.
6. Shape the badusha as shown in the tutorial.
7. Heat oil. When a small bit of dough is dropped, it should immediately come up. this is the perfect temperature.
8. Drop 4 or 5 badushas in oil.
9. Remove from flame. When the badushas start floating, keep the pan on medium flame and fry them till golden brown.
10. Meanwhile mix water and sugar and let it boil. When the syrup becomes sticky, add cardamom powder and lemon juice.Switch off flame. ( adding lemon juice avoids crystalization of sugar)
11. Add the hot badushas into the syrup. Let it be there for a minute.
12. Remove from syrup and arrange on a plate.
13. When finished with all badushas reheat the syrup. This time you need the syrup to have one string consistency. 
14. There are so many methods of checking the consistency.
  a. When dropped in water, it should not dissolve and lie as a thin thread.
  b. When taken between thumb and fore finger, it should form a fine thread.
  c. When you take it in a spoon and allow it to fall inside the vessel, it should hang as a thin thread.
 I wanted to take some snaps, but as I was alone while preparing, I couldn't get an exact picture.
15. Now dip the badushas 2 at a time into this syrup.
16. Place them on a greased plate. They will be sticky when hot. But on cooling the syrup becomes firm and it will not stick.
17. Store in an air tight container.

Photo Tutorial:


Whisk melted butter with oil, sugar, soda and curd

Add flour


Make it crumbly


Add water and prepare the dough


After kneading for 10minutes


Flatten a ball


At one end pinch the dough to make it more flat


Fold it over


Pinch the edge of the fold


Fold it over the first


Repeat it 
Finished spiralling ( you will get it right after experience)

Finished spiralling


Drop in hot oil and remove from flame


Badushas will start floating


Fry on medium flame till golden brown


Dip in the first syrup


Arrange on a plate


After the second coating. I decorated it with sliced almonds

Labels: , ,