Sakkarai Pongal

Sorry Friends! I couldn't blog for nearly 5 days. I missed it a lot. I am very happy to be back. I have posted this recipe before but I haven't included the steps. So I have been thinking of reposting this recipe for Kurinji's event from the day she announced it, but couldn't make it. Yesterday I had to prepare this pongal for a pooja and I managed to take the snaps for the step by step procedure. It came out so tasty. I prepared it in a mud pot according to the traditional method. Though I missed some procedures of the traditional method, I managed to prepare a tasty pongal. Sending this recipe to Kurinji's Pongal Feast Event.






Ingredients:


Ponni Raw Rice-100gm
Moong Dhal-25gm
Jaggery / Vellam-250gm
Milk-1 1/2cups
Cashew nuts-3 tbs
Ghee- 4 tbs
Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
Water-4cups


Procedure:


1. Wash and soak rice and dhal for 30 minutes.
2. Add 1/4cup water to jaggery and let the jaggery dissolve. When it starts boiling switch off flame and strain it through a strainer. Add cardamom powder and keep it aside.
3. Bring water to boil. Transfer half the quantity of water to another vessel.
4. Add rice and dhal.
5. Switch flame to low because on high flame the mixture will become frothy and will tend to ooze out of the pot.
6. When the water is reduced add the remaining water.
7. Add 1/2cup of milk when the water is fully absorbed by the rice.
8. Add remaining milk and allow it to cook on low flame.
9. When the rice is fully cooked and comes to a semi solid form add the jaggery syrup.
10. Let it boil for 5 minutes on low flame.
11. Heat ghee and add chopped cashew. Fry till golden brown.
12. Add this to the pongal. Give it a nice stir and switch off flame.
13. Though it looks little semi solid when hot, it will come to the correct consistency when cool.


Photo Tutorial:



Add water and jaggery

Prepare Syrup



Bring water to boil in a mud pot
Add rice and dhal


Let it cook well
Add milk



Cook on low flame till the milk  is fully absorbed
Add the syrup


Fry cashew in ghee
Add to pongal and switch off flame

Labels: , , , ,