Aval Vadagam

I usually get this from my mom each year. So I have never tried it. When Kurinji announced the event for rice flakes recipes, I wanted to try it. I prepared the vadagam in two methods. One is the traditional method in which the vadagams are dried in sun. The next method is to dry it in oven. By following this you can prepare vadagam on a rainy day also. I started it as an experiment. Just wanted to compare the result of both methods. After frying, I couldn't spot any difference. The only draw back is that you will get current bill if you use oven. I used matta aval / brown rice flakes. You can also use white aval. My mom always uses white aval. Sending this to Kurinji's Healthy Recipe Hunt-1. I am off to my aunt's place for a marriage. Sorry if my comments don't appear on your blogs. I have scheduled the next two days' posts so that I don't miss the blogging marathon. Bye Friends!
I am running a blogging marathon along with some of by friends for 15 days.Check out my Blogging Marathon buddies in action! SrivalliPriya SureshJay,  Monika,  PJPriya Vaasu,  AzeemaReva,  AyeeshaUshaVeena Soumya.






Ingredients:
Matta Aval / Brown Rice Flakes-1cup 
Green chilly-4/5
Cumin seeds-1tsp
Coriander Leaves-1/2cup chopped(Optional)
Salt-to taste


Procedure:
1. Soak aval till it dissolves.
2. Let it stand for 30minutes until the aval is soft.
3. Grind green chillies, cumin seeds and coriander leaves in a mixer grinder, without adding water.
4. Add a handful of soaked rice flakes and grind to a fine paste.
5. Add remaining aval and grind to a coarse mixture.
6. Retain some whole flakes and add it at last.
7. Add salt to taste and mix well.
8. Pinch small amount of the mixture and arrange on a baking tray.
9. Set oven to warm mode. Place the tray in oven and let the vadagam dry. 
10. If the oven becomes very hot, open the door of oven partially and let it dry completely.
11. It took 6 hours for my oven to dry the vadagam.
12. As for the traditional method, arrange the portions on a black cloth spread on the terrace.
13. Let it dry in sunlight for the whole day. If it is not dry, fold the cloth and store and spread it on terrace the next day also.
14. Store the completely dried vadagams in an airtight container.
15. When you want vadagam, heat oil till hot and add the dried vadagams and fry till all the bubbles are gone. Relish with rice. If the oil is not hot enough the vadagams will not be crisp. 


Photo Tutorial:


Before drying
After drying
Before frying

Labels: , , ,